Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites I can't beat these mites!

tfarabians

Cavy Slave
So we have had our 2 guinea pigs at the vet 3 times now for shots to rid them of mites and I still found mites on them again. They don't seem to be bothered by the mites. I don't see them itching and there is no hair loss. I keep their cage extremely clean washing it out with vinegar once a month and we change the shavings every other day. I'm spending a fortune though on vet bills and the shots don't seem to be working. Is there something I can wash them with? What other options do we have?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can't see mites, so if you can see them then I am assuming they are not mites, but are probably lice or something similar. Mites are invisible to the naked eye but usually cause a lot of itching and discomfort.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Is your vet an exotic pet vet?
What type of mites do you mean, mange mites? If so, are those "shots" treated correctly with Ivermectin?
What do you mean by finding mites on them? You cannot see them. The drug is active in their body for a while to kill them, so it takes several weeks to fully recover even after treatment is completed. Treatment lengths also varies depending on how bad it is.
See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I would bed them on fleece and buy Ivermectin to treat myself. Try that for a month and see what happens. How do you know they have mites if the mites aren't bothering them and you see no hair loss?

tfarabians

Cavy Slave
Yes our vet is an exotic animal vet, in fact they don't see any cats or dogs only exotic small animals. I guess I don't know what they have. The vet told me they were mites. I can see little tiny white bugs on them. We have been going every 2 weeks for the injections and the last injection was a month ago. If they are lice is there some way for me to treat them?

tfarabians

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advise! I will go get them some Ivermectin tomorrow and hopefully rid ourselves of these buggers!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Have you used Ivermetcin?

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Tiny white bugs sounds like lice to me! My boy sparky had them when I adopted him. Good luck in treating them!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would see about getting some Revolution or Advantage.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advise! I will go get them some Ivermectin tomorrow and hopefully rid ourselves of these buggers!

You really need to find out what it is before you treat with anything. So is it lice, is it mange mites, other?

javim121

Cavy Slave
I think you meant Advantage Multi.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
tfarabian, how are your piggies doing?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.