Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications stronghold to pups

marshon

Cavy Slave
Someone who have any experience with giving stronghold for pups? My youngest - Sheldon - is the age of 5 ½ weeks and weight about 350 gram.

My vet had very limited experience in this things and first he recommended me to wait until my boy was at least 6 weeks, but since he started to lose weight a bit he told me to start the treatment.

The packages with stronghold I got contains three doses á 15 mg (0,25 ml) and according to the vet one whole tube is to be used, twice (30 days apart) OR three times (14 days apart. He changed his mind about this).

Someone with experience who can give me an advice, please? I don´t want to wait any longer since Sheldon and the other scrathes a lot but at the same time I´m really scared that Sheldon is to small for the treatment and that a whole tube is to much.
I have googled this a lot but don´t get any wiser. Some people claim they just put a blob on their animals and so on.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are you giving it for?

It's a general parasitic, designed mainly for fleas, which don't usually affect guinea pigs unless they're infested from some other pet/animal.

If you can't see any bugs, he more likely has mites, and ivermectin is a much better choice for that. However, he's at the bottom limit of weight for ivermectin (for any treatment, really), so you'll have to be very careful to avoid overdosing him.

marshon

Cavy Slave
What are you giving it for?

It's a general parasitic, designed mainly for fleas, which don't usually affect guinea pigs unless they're infested from some other pet/animal.

If you can't see any bugs, he more likely has mites, and ivermectin is a much better choice for that. However, he's at the bottom limit of weight for ivermectin (for any treatment, really), so you'll have to be very careful to avoid overdosing him.

He has mites. According to this (broken link removed) stronghold seems quite effective, but you might be right.

So what do you suggest me to do? Wait until he gets older and hope it doesn´t get worse? How do you usually treat young guinea pigs?

Thanks for answering. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
He weighs enough to be treated with ivermectin, just be careful to give him the correct amount and not overdose.

Stronghold is the same as Revolution, and can be used to treat for mites, yes. Here are the dosing guidelines--

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html

marshon

Cavy Slave
thank you much appreciated

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.