Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage My First Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
CandyApple couldn't have explained it any better. Guinea pigs ARE very nice pets. I had 5 hamsters through out a few years and they were ecxellent. One teddy bear hamster named George lived for 5 years. He liked being held like a baby and having his tummy rubbed, and he would fall asleep right in my hands :) He was such a sweetie and I miss him a lot. My literally mom gets sick if we have a mouse in the house so we got a cat, and mice and rats are NOT welcome in the house. I respect that so I have never asked for one. My friends had two rats Bella and Buddy (both girls) and they were the quirkiest critters I have ever met! I have never owned a mouse. Are really cute! Also, guinea pigs ARE rodents. They are a bit big for some people to consider a rodent, but they are what they are.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@CandyApple This might be the best solution. I had never even thought about getting a guinea pig- I started out wanting a hedgehog and saw that the lady used a C&C cage. I kept seeing pigs in C&C's, and realized there was no way I'd be able to adopt a hedgehog without a fee of $150+ for just the hog. Then I realized how lovely pigs are :p
My friend wanted ferrets and found a pair of chinchillas, which she is in love with!

ashyme
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Maybe because it wasn't domesticated. Maybe if you find a mouse on Petfinder you can shower her it, and let her know the care behind it.

ashyme
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
So you'd much rather just get one? And already before it hits your home it's quality of life be a little diminished? Pigs are much more responsibility than another small rodent, and I find it VERY hard to believe that if you've presented your "years of research" to your parents they wouldn't be more up to a mouse or a hamster.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
OK, if they hate mice so much why not a hamster? What has copying your aunt got to do with anything? That's definitely not a valid point. So what if my work colleges all had guinea pigs, then I suddenly decided to get a pair, they wouldn't care if I copied them, they'd be delighted to welcome me aboard!
Also, if your aunt has a hamster, why not ask her for information, learn about hamsters from her.

Oh, and by the way, if you have been researching guinea pigs for years, you would have presented the idea of getting two guinea pigs to your parents from the start. One would never have been an option.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I almost feel bad.
NO ONE would EVER want to be mean to someone over the internet, or any other thing that you might think. The thing is, it's pretty disrespectful to sit there and look at all of this beautiful information that everyone has collected over YEARS, and just tell us, "Well I hear you but it's just not an option."

We may come across as mean because we all love our pigs so much, and personally, like many members here, I have made several sacrifices for mine.

You joined this forum to learn more about pigs, but are ignoring the information that is being given to you.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
PLEASE try very hard to convince your parents to get two Guinea Pigs, or a hamster. Hamsters are very nice little creatures. They require very low maintenence, (spelling) and you can get a long haired, if you can find one. Cages are easy to clean, food is cheap. Harold my 2 year old Teddy Bear hamster is a wonderful little guy. My pigs attract my cats sometimes, but they got used to them over the months. If your cats are devils, as you say, don't get Guinea Pigs, or find a very safe room in your home to put a cage, where there might be a shutting door.
I wish you good luck in your journey to a pet parent!!!!! It's kind of hard for me to explain one animal to you. I have around 10 not including Darwynn and Juarez. :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Right now, it is a bit hard to be civil with someone who is dead bent on getting ONE guinea pig and putting it in a PET STORE cage. Despite all advice we've given this user. She will not think of the animal's feelings and wait until she can get 2 and put them in an appropriately sized cage.

cassielfsw

Cavy Slave
ashyme, when you get a pet you are committing to be responsible for its care for the rest of its natural life. You are all it has in the world. You are like its parent. This really is a serious responsibility and you need to understand that. If you can't be responsible for all of the animal's needs, the responsibility then falls to your parents, since you are a minor. If you have done years of research on guinea pigs then you should know that they are NOT low maintenance. They are social animals that will suffer without a friend. They need space to run around. They need fresh veggies every day. They need YOU and/or your parents to provide all of these things. And if you can't or won't, that is not fair to the guinea pig(s). It's irresponsible.

I had a guinea pig when I was in high school, in a pet store cage. I didn't know any better, but I loved that pig and she loved me. When I moved away, I (having by now done research) wanted to adopt a pair of guinea pigs and keep them in a C&C cage. I already had the grids and had found a sign store to get the coroplast from. Up to this point I had just assumed that having them in an apartment wouldn't be a problem, because they're small, right? They live in a cage, right? I knew that people were allowed to have cats in the complex, and cats are WAY more potentially destructive than caged pets, right? But I wanted to be sure, because it would be irresponsible of me to bring a pair of pigs into my home only to make them homeless again. So I checked with the rental office and they said NO. Apparently it was a policy from corporate! Cats OK, birds OK, fish OK, any other pet NOT OK. Weren't expecting that, were you? I wasn't. I had related this to other people and the first thing some of them said was, "Well, why don't you just get them anyway? Why did you even ask for permission in the first place?" The answer to that is that I took my responsibility as a potential pet owner seriously. The rental office would have found out. What was I going to do, hide a C&C cage under the bed?

So I waited. (And I'll note at this point that the reason I didn't just get a cat instead is that I'm allergic to them. Birds and fish don't really appeal to me.)

I waited for three years!

Eventually the time came to move out (they'd decided to hike the rent up just a little too far) and when I looked for a new place I specifically looked for one that would allow guinea pigs. I specifically asked about guinea pigs. A lot of places say "pets ok" but as with my old landlords, they ONLY mean "cats or dogs" and consider other animals "exotic". Eventually I found a place and I moved in August of 2012, and got my piggies the next month.

Now I'm thinking I might want a rabbit.

I'm not getting a rabbit.

Know why?

Because I have done research about rabbits and I understand a number of things. They are also social animals, so I would probably be looking at a pair. They need a LOT of space, that I currently cannot provide. They should be kept probably in a separate room from the piggies due to the risk of pasturella/bordatella. I just can't do it right now. Too bad, so sad. This is the reality of being a responsible adult.

It may not make you or I happy, but sometimes you can't have everything you want.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
My cats are DEVILS!!!! They kill birds and mice/rats on a daily basis...

Letting your cats outside like that isn't really good for them and certainly not for the wildlife around your home. :(

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Okay. Reading this thread has thoroughly irritaited me. It is extremely hard to be civil with someone who is so dead bent on doing what is WRONG for these animals. So I'm going to take a different approach.

Imagine you're in a one room house. There's a toilet in the corner, a little fridge, and a bed in the center. It's only 2 armspans across. It's cramped.

Every so often these strange creatures pull you out of this room and 'play' with you. You can't understand what they say, and they scare you.

Then they plonk you back into this one room hhouse and leave you there for hours and hours everyday.

That would be a boring life, would it not?

Now imagine you're in a 4 room house, you have a kitchen, a bedroom, lots of space to move and run. You have a friend that lives with you. You're best friends. And when those strange creatures come to pick you up, it's not so bad. Because you have your buddy.

I am honestly really upset right now. I understand your parents are stuborn, my parents where too. I spent months convincing them. I laid out the facts. I got my mom to go from two pet store pigs in a teeny cage, to a rescued pair, with oxbow food, green farm hay, and a massive c&c cage.

The difference, I spent time talking to my parents. I researched them, I took this website and guinealynx as my bible. And I'm glad I did. Because the idea of two pet store pigs in a 40x15x15 cage right now makes me cringe.

I know it's hard, I understand you want this pig, but it's not an ideal situation for them. They have needs. You can't meet them. You are determined to get one pig and stick it in a tiny cage. That is not adequate. You have been told this so many times and you can't seem to accept it.

javim121

Cavy Slave
I have read this whole thread just to say that I bought the Midwest guinea pig expandable habitat that was mentioned in beginning. It is just under 8 square feet. I did not get the one with the lid because even though i have dogs the pigs' cage will not be on the floor. The only thing that could get in it is one of my birds, as my flock is free flying when I am home. I will deal with that though.
The reason I posted this is because the OP should be able to afford this cage and again it has the most room at the lowest cost for a non c&c cage. I will also agree that two pigs is a must and when I have everything ready I will start looking for my two.
Maybe this was not relevant but I wanted to post my opnion on the cage.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
And even so with what [MENTION=22955]madelineelaine[/MENTION] said, if you so truely stick to what your parents say, then your parents say no! You can't have two, you understand that's not acceptable, so just realize you SHOULD NOT have a pig right now.

I am sooo willing to be your friend and try and help you, like many on this forum, if you'll just accept this and move on to doing more research, covincing your mom to maybe make an account on this forum, bringing your grades up, collecting money, volunteering with pigs and many other things you can do to help.

But this? You blatantly ignoring every member on this forum who is trying to HELP you? You trying your hardest to convince us that your ways are okay? THIS is NOT helping.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Actually I think this is a lot more relevant to the original post than everything that came after considering this is in cages hahahaha
Oh boy, sometimes I feel as though I care about animals a little too deeply..
I have read this whole thread just to say that I bought the Midwest guinea pig expandable habitat that was mentioned in beginning. It is just under 8 square feet. I did not get the one with the lid because even though i have dogs the pigs' cage will not be on the floor. The only thing that could get in it is one of my birds, as my flock is free flying when I am home. I will deal with that though.
The reason I posted this is because the OP should be able to afford this cage and again it has the most room at the lowest cost for a non c&c cage. I will also agree that two pigs is a must and when I have everything ready I will start looking for my two.
Maybe this was not relevant but I wanted to post my opnion on the cage.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I have seen your multiple threads where you are asking the same questions, and people are giving you the same advice; frankly it's getting very very frustrating.

All I wanted was help and now everyone iss making me feel terrible.

So listen to what we are saying? People ARE helping you, you just aren't listening.

It's fine, I just wanted everyone to be as happy as I am that I'm getting my first guinea pig.

Yay for pigs. But what we are not happy about is the fact you are putting YOUR 'wants' before your pets welfare. Did you know that guinea pigs can actually get pretty old? They are like, a two year commitment. Once you've got it, you've got it until the end of it's life. Please, do right by it.

I understand 2 is better than 1, but I can only get 1.
It seems like no one understands.
I used to have a gp in my life. It's hard when you dont anymore.

We all understand that once you don't have something you want, it's hard. You don't need a pig. You want a pig. Those are hugely different things. Consider what the pig needs.

My mom and dad are agreeing to a guinea pig not any other animal, besides I have spent years researching guinea pigss.

If you have spent years researching them then why are you so keen to get one, when surely you'd know how that's not good for it, and then stick it in a tiny cage?

Really losing the will to live a bit here.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I'd suggest going back to your original thread and reading the good advice people are giving you.

Do not feel it is a personal attack if you do not like the advice. It is simply what's best for the animal, and as everyone here loves pigs, we want what's right for them.

cassielfsw

Cavy Slave
Yay for pigs. But what we are not happy about is the fact you are putting YOUR 'wants' before your pets welfare. Did you know that guinea pigs can actually get pretty old? They are like, a two year commitment. Once you've got it, you've got it until the end of it's life. Please, do right by it.

Is there a "not" missing from this sentence? ;)

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Is there a "not" missing from this sentence? ;)

Yes, a rather awkwardly placed one as well. That's from the frustrated typing. Thanks for pointing that out lol

Ah, I can't edit it any more. At least everyone knows it wasn't on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.