Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Pure Fleece TRUTH!!! Needed please.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am so clueless about C and C cages, I don't think on my own I could get the supplies and put one together! I ordered mine through the C and C cage store linked through this forum. I didn't even think the sides of the cage walls would be different sizes for other people haha.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
It is a great store, and there is a lot to be said for having it all together ready to be made especially if one just got new piggies. Plus they have stuff like those Coroplast drawers and kitchens.

Karianne81

Cavy Slave
thanks you I will look into it a little further. I don't know maybe I'm just wierd but I feel that bleach is much better at disenfecting.

Karianne81

Cavy Slave
I am a bit put out by the title of this thread. Why would anyone lie about why they use fleece? Why did you need to specify that you want the TRUTH?

There are dozens of threads about why people prefer fleece. Just read them.

I'm sorry if my Specification put you out. That being said I am the new to guinea pig world and need to be sure that fleece is just not a fad that catches for while and then fades. I am also the type of person that researches clean living conditions and ways to keep my pets healthy and happy. I just wanted to be sure that before I made the investment of fleece I had all the details this includes the good and the bad.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Which is why it's a good idea to read all the other threads on using fleece. Most of us have already written lots of information down about it. People have not been shy to say why they don't like it, or why they do.

Karianne81

Cavy Slave
Which is why it's a good idea to read all the other threads on using fleece. Most of us have already written lots of information down about it. People have not been shy to say why they don't like it, or why they do.

WOW!!! I'm just gonna put this out there but are you this rude to everyone on this forum? Don't think for one minute that didn't read many of the other threads however I was searching for my own answers to which I got from others. I came to this forum for help and information and it is comments that offend people the way yours have to me that turn people away. Unless I was mistaken I thought forums such as this were put out there for people to ask questions and view for the health and help of there precious furry family members.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, but when the information is out there for the reading, and you come on and ask the same questions that have been answered multiple times, it seems somewhat rude on your part to expect people to spend time writing the same thing over and over again.

There is a whole section/forum devoted to this subject. It's not like your question has never been asked before. The people who have answered your question already are very generous.

Karianne81

Cavy Slave
Yes, but when the information is out there for the reading, and you come on and ask the same questions that have been answered multiple times, it seems somewhat rude on your part to expect people to spend time writing the same thing over and over again.

There is a whole section/forum devoted to this subject. It's not like your question has never been asked before. The people who have answered your question already are very generous.

In that case let me say a very sincere thank you to all of those who were so willing to answer my questions even if they were repeats. I did not think that trying to find the answers to my own questions were such a burden. I will find another forum that is more open to helping out a newbie such as myself and will steer my other friends with Guinea Pigs away.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
Karianne81, please email me.

Karianne81

Cavy Slave
where can I find your email?

Lucille

Cavy Slave
PM sent.....

havepeace

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if it seemed that I seemed uninformed or just "quoting the party line." I was just saying that it seems that a large portion of bedding users tend to lean towards petstores. And actually, I have been a guinea pig owner for years and just recently decided to join the site.

CJ Hobbs

Cavy Slave
I just joined today, so I could get help and opinions from other friendly guinea pig lovers and if this is the way people are going to be treated on here I would be very disgusted and have to go elsewhere for help too! It's totally uncalled for and doesn't make me feel welcome at all!

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Ok so I'm considering fleece for my two G-pigs. I would like Honest opinions from people. If given the choice would you use fleece or something else for bedding and why? Now the catch to this question is..... act as if the cost of bedding is not a factor. So if you had to choose bedding or fleece which one would you believe would be more practical and why?

I prefer fleece throughout the entire cage. I have a custom made C&C 3-story condo (made by me :eek:) for our 3 girl piggies. I started out using the carefresh paper bedding but found that it was costing me $20 a week...and I couldn't stand that the poops fell to the bottom of the bedding and were impossible to get out. Fleece makes it sooooo easy to scoop the poops! We definitely need to stay on top of it though. We (my kids and I) sweep up the poops twice a day. Every night I change out the pee pads that are placed in the corners where they pee and poop the most. I have made pee pads with a layer of fleece on either side and a layer of towel in the middle. I found directions on you tube on how to make custom liners and pee pads. Once a week, or more often if soiled sooner, I completely change out the fleece liners and wash them. I have 3 sets of fleece liners that I have sewn and are custom fit for each floor of the condo. (I'm a teacher and I had a lot of extra time over winter break. I did a LOT of sewing for the piggies!! LOL)

I have also put a corner litter pan in the cage with the carefresh paper bedding. The pigs do not consistently use it, but the are using it because there is pee and poop in it every morning and night. So, I think that is cutting back on the amount of pee and poop throughout the cage. They like to go the most at the base of the ramp on the bottom floor...why? I have no idea. Silly things! Maybe I should put the litter box there!

I think the fleece liners might take a little more "work" in that you HAVE to sweep up the poops twice a day (at least we do with 3 piggies in there) and it creates more laundry. With the paper you can just throw everything away. But, the cost in the long run is so much cheaper, at least for me. And that's with even having to purchase a sewing machine in order to start my project!! I highly recommend the fleece. Plus, the piggies LOVE it!! When I change out the cage each week, they popcorn like crazy! That just shows how happy it makes them. :)

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I've used carefresh/carefresh type beddings and then switched to fleece and I would never go back. It whicks great - as long as you stay on top of cleaning daily (a hand held vac is what I use) it really doesn't smell. I put puppy pee pads under the fleece in the areas that they pee in most often which is a big help.

The hay does get everywhere when they eat it, in my last cage I had a coroplast box that was the kitchen and just had carefresh - but they just spread carefresh and hay over the place. A really good hand-vac is a life-saver with fleece.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I would use fleece still. I prefer the fleece becasue of 6 reasons.
1. Smell
2. Ascetics
3. Comfort
4. Cleanliness
5. Pigs
6. Noise

My first reason was smell. I think that smell is affected because when you have bedding, it smells rancid. With fleece it doesn't smell nearly as bad! Ascetics is a reason because i like how I can change what it looks like how the seasons are, what my mood is like, and so on. Comfort is a big one. I will not me using something that can hurt or make my pigs sick. The fleece is soft and make my girls popcorn and run zoomies so much more! Cleanliness is a big issue because it makes it SOOO much easier to clean because all i have to do is vacuums up the poops. My pigs are the highest concern here because they are the reason why I buy fleece! My girls LOVE fleece! Love it love it love it! My final reason was noise. When my girls would do zoomies in their wood shavings, it made a bunch of ruslin. There is virtually no noise with fleece. Fleece is totally worth it in my opinion and probably everyone else's too.

Amy262

Cavy Slave
Also, for layering I use the waterproof mattress pads (got several on sale at Babies R Us) and cut them to size for the floors of our C&C cage. Then I use one layer of towels for the middle and top floors (they pee less on those floors, plus I use the fleece/towel pee pads for added layering in the corners), and two layers of towels on the bottom floor. I had thought about getting the UHaul pads, but I read info pro and con on them. I had already purchased brand new towels for the cage ($1.97 each at Walmart), so I didn't want to make another purchase. For now, towels seem to work just fine. When I wash everything, I use unscented laundry detergent, a full cup of white vinegar, and I sprinkle in about a quarter cup of baking soda. I wash the fleece separate from the towels...I have too much bedding for it all to fit in one load.

Yamiko

Cavy Slave
I would choose Fleece over anything else.

I have used all kind of beddings for my pigs: from the kind you get in the pet stores to wood shavings, and fleece won the contest in my opinion.

Although fleece bedding might give you the impression of being messy since you can spot on the pigs' droppings, but you can always quickly scoop them out using a mini broom and dust pant. There is no smell, and you won't sneeze your nose off compare to when you use wood shaving -- I hated wood shavings for that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.