Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

China Guinea Pig C&C Cages ?

Sunnysidedown

Cavy Slave
Hi,I'm Sunnysidedown. I just recently joined this forum. I don't have my guinea pigs yet,and I don't want to get them because I would like to give them a big,spacious cage before adopting.I am not in China/Hong Kong,but I am Chinese.
I live in Istanbul,Turkey.I've been learning how to take care of guinea pigs by reading books,and watching YouTube videos. I really want two female guinea pigs,but I want to get a c&c cage.I have been learning about guinea pigs for over four months so I can persuade my mom to actually get the guinea pigs.
If you can find a website in Turkey or very close to Turkey that sells cubes and connectors,it would be greatly appreciated! Even better would be in Istanbul, since by parents aren't very hot about going far for a cage.
Since the holidays are coming up, I will be going to Italy,and it would also help if someone could find where to get cubes and connectors in Italy ?

Sunnysidedown

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see that you're doing lots of research before getting your pigs. That's really good. :)

As for the grids, I won't be much help. I did some online searches, but didn't get many results for Turkey. You might be able to buy some off Amazon. If you can't find grids, you can always make your own cage. There is a section called Alternative Cages in the gallery on this site. People make cages out of materials other than cubes and coroplast, such as wood.

Sunnysidedown

Cavy Slave
T1ggerPigLuvur,thank you for the quick reply! I wasn't expecting someone to answer so fast.About the grids,I have checked on Amazon and eBay,and the grids don't cost much,but the shipping is $ 60! The shipping is much more expensive than the goods.Also,my parents don't approve of online shopping,so there's no chance that I can get anything online.
But thank you for the telling me about the 'alternative cages' section.I find it very helpful.

Sunnysidedown

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I'm not much help with the grids; But I'm just wandering why do you want females? I wouldn't completely rule out males just yet.

Sunnysidedown

Cavy Slave
Hi Rodentcuddles! Yeah the main reason I only wanted female guinea pigs are because in many sites/videos it shows that male guinea pigs put together may have a tendency to fight. They also said female guinea pigs are easier for beginners?

Sunnysidedown

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
We don't have any grids or coroplast in Sweden either.
Here in Sweden it's really popular to purchase a cheap bookcase from Ikea, and waterproof it with a thick Pvc tablecloth(Needs replacing) or some type of waterproof carpet.
I believe Ikea has the same products all over the world including Turkey, but any bookshelf with appropriate dimensions would work.

The Billy bookcase is the most popular one for this because of the price & measurements, and comes in a huge ~15 sq feet one,
as well as a ~8.8 sq feet one (approx inner measurements) that's between the size of a 2x3-4.

The huge one.
Width: 31 1/2."
Depth: 11"
Height: 79 1/2"
$59.99 For black or white.
BILLY Bookcase - white - IKEA
Turkish website:
(broken link removed)

Smaller version:
Width: 31 1/2"
Height: 41 3/4 "
$39.99 for white.
BILLY Bookcase - birch veneer - IKEA

Turkish website:
(broken link removed)

Pictures of bookcase cages:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Hi Rodentcuddles! Yeah the main reason I only wanted female guinea pigs are because in many sites/videos it shows that male guinea pigs put together may have a tendency to fight. They also said female guinea pigs are easier for beginners?

Sunnysidedown

Ahh, see that is where false myths are very annoying. Males do not have more of a tendency to fight then females, it matters greatly on the pig not what gender they are.

Males and Females are just as likely to fight, apart from when males go though adolescence.
From my personal experience males are more likely to be laid back and calm compared to females, it varies between pig.

I'm not sure why they'd say females are better for beginners, they both are great and gender does not matter.
For females you don't have to clean their sacks because they don't have one but I find my girls get very moody while they're in heat but they also can be very loving. This is just my experience with the pigs I've come across though the rescue and the ones I've got.

If I was you I'd just look for a pair or trio that catches your eye or if you're like me they'll find you and I wouldn't rule them off because their males. I really wouldn't worry too much about the gender, it's not much of a matter as every pig is different.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
These myths and misconceptions get out of hand.
I'm a first timer... Only got my guinea pigs 2 months ago, and they're males. They are so docile, and calm. No fighting, none of that. Just a bit of rumble strutting here and there from buccanear.
Cleaning sacks is also very easy. I have it done in 5 minutes or less. (I just clean them to get them used to it, before they actually get impactions!)
Anyway, no matter what gender you get, you'll love them either way!

Sunnysidedown

Cavy Slave
We don't have any grids or coroplast in Sweden either.
Here in Sweden it's really popular to purchase a cheap bookcase from Ikea, and waterproof it with a thick Pvc tablecloth(Needs replacing) or some type of waterproof carpet.
I believe Ikea has the same products all over the world including Turkey, but any bookshelf with appropriate dimensions would work.

The Billy bookcase is the most popular one for this because of the price & measurements, and comes in a huge ~15 sq feet one,
as well as a ~8.8 sq feet one (approx inner measurements) that's between the size of a 2x3-4.

The huge one.
Width: 31 1/2."
Height: 79 1/2"
$59.99 For black or white.
BILLY Bookcase - white - IKEA
Turkish website:
(broken link removed)

Smaller version:
Width: 31 1/2"
Height: 41 3/4 "
$39.99 for white.
BILLY Bookcase - birch veneer - IKEA

Turkish website:
(broken link removed)

Pictures of bookcase cages:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Hi HannibalLecter :) Thank you for the information on the bookshelf, and yes there is Ikea here in Istanbul.Those cages look pretty cool,maybe I could use a bookshelf as the cage.
Thank you !

Sunnysidedown

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I agree, gender is NOT important to me. I have a neutered male and a female, I love them both! They both have there own needs and they both have different personalities.

Sunnysidedown

Cavy Slave
HL.......the OP should have given a "thank you" for this information. She didn't, so I'm saying thank you for contributing the information. It can be a valuable alternative for those of you who don't have access to C&C materials.

Hi spy9doc
I did say thank you for the information. You might have missed it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.