Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Strange lump on stomach

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I was bathing my guinea pigs today (They needed it!) and I noticed a lump, no bigger than a dime, flat in the middle of Thunders stomach. This was surprising. I immediately researched it and came to the suspicion that it could be a mammary tumor. Nothing looks wrong with his teets at all. What do you all think? Does he need to go to a vet? DSC00649.jpg

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what it is, but i would take him to the vet as soon as possible.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I had a guinea pig had something similar. She had a little lump on her belly and it grew and grew (it was about the size of a golf ball when she died). It ended up being a mammary tumor but as she was an older pig our vet said it would be best to let it go. Depending on how old your pig is I think they would be able to remove the tumor, however it is no guarantee that it wouldn't come back, especially if it is cancerous (my piggies was). Tumors are one of those things that can always come back. One of the vets I shadow has taken tumors off of one rat 3 or 4 times now.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your imput. I will consider taking him to the vet Monday.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, you'll consider it? Nonononono..
You need to take him to the vet. If it IS a tumor, it could be cancerous. That's very serious. :(
Why are you just "considering" taking him to the vet?

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude in any way. So I apologize if it comes off that way. I just don't understand why you wouldn't be calling vets right now trying to set up an appointment.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, you'll consider it? Nonononono..
You need to take him to the vet. If it IS a tumor, it could be cancerous. That's very serious. :(
Why are you just "considering" taking him to the vet?

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude in any way. So I apologize if it comes off that way. I just don't understand why you wouldn't be calling vets right now trying to set up an appointment.

He IS going to the vet, don't worry. I'm scheduling an appointment for Monday and no longer will I wait. I'm sorry that it came out that way. I really do care for the health of my guinea pigs. Your not being rude I understand where your coming from. Thank you.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
He IS going to the vet, don't worry. I'm scheduling an appointment for Monday and no longer will I wait. I'm sorry that it came out that way. I really do care for the health of my guinea pigs. Your not being rude I understand where your coming from. Thank you.

Oh okay! Good! Keep us updated, I hope your piggy is alright.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Usually mammary tumors are underneath the nipples. Other lumps on the stomach could be fatty lipomas or cysts, or even abscesses.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Just got back from the vet to learn that it's his belly button! The vet said that if he was wrong, then it would be a fatty lipoma but he said as long as it's not doubling in size or causing pain he said it's fine. Right now the best thing to do is watch it. Sweet relief!!! I guess it differs with each guinea pig on how noticeable their belly button is. I just searched guinea pig belly buttons and this came up. It's exactly the same thing that Thunder "has" except Thunder doesn't waddle! :waddling like a turtle - The Guinea Pig Forum

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I have had pigs with smallish nubs there, but nothing as big as your pig's. I'm more inclined to think it's a fatty lipoma. My Pookie had several throughout his life. Once he had three removed because they became large and interfered with his movement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.