Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Questions about my pregnant guinea pig

Hello, I'm sorta new here, so forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I may have a pregnant guinea pig on my hands. So anyways I got a guinea pig off Craigslist and the lady said she was not with males, but I'm starting to double think that, because my guinea pig has gained weight very rapidly, and is a plump size now. She eats and drinks a lot and is very lazy. I swear I can feel lumps all inside her stomach but not a lot of movement yet. If she is pregnant, I'd say around 5 to 6 weeks, since she wasn't big when I first got her. The lady said she has not bred before and is around 10 months old. I recently read that guinea pigs can have complications if over the age of 6 so is my guinea gonna make it? When I was little I had a pregnant guinea pig who was around 2 years old and she delivered 3 healthy babies and lived a long life. ( this was when I was young and my parents new nothing about guinea pigs). Se didn't have babies before, it's a miracle she survived but I don't know about this new pig. Anyone have experiences where their piggy lived even over the age of 6 months? We have a vet down the road who supposedly treats exotics, but said they don't do many guinea pigs and probably won't be able to do a cesarian if it comes to it. This worries me a lot, and I live out in the middle of nowhere, so any other vets are hard to find and reach. So anyone please help me. I'm 93%. Sure she's pregnant. More like 99% . Thanks for your help in advance...

I just want to know if she might make it and if there's any vets in Florida area code 34744 or something near Kissimmee with a vet that is cavy savvy. Will she need a cesarian? She's small for her age, plump and healthy with a 3x5 grid cage just her, till I get her a friend. Again thx in advance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

re: Questions about my pregnant guinea pig

A grate place too look for vets is the zone site, youll see at the top for the page where "fourm, photos, ect" are the second to last tab says vet, Click on that and it'll bring you to the zone site and you can put in all your infoe there.

As far as your pigs age go's, She is not that old yet, her pelvic bones probably have not fuzed yet.. but do not take my word for it, every pig is different. If I where you i'd watch for signs of her getting ready to give birth and check to make sour her bones are separating.. I dont really know how to explain how to do it.. so hopefully someone eals hear can.

I hope all goes well, and she makes it threw okay. Keep use updated (:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Ok thanks for your help! I am looking for a vet right now! .

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Ok, so do I post updates on her pregnancy here? I have a feeling I have to get a scale and weigh her right? What food should she be on now? I still have not found a vet close to me, I'm around the Kissimmee st.cloud area and the closest vet is in Orlando so I will make a call. I just bought 30 grids so I'm going to make a much bigger cage for her and her babies. I'm praying everything goes well I will post some pictures and maybe you guys can see how big she is and how far along?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

I feel like an x ray may be in order, but if it's before a certain point the bones wont show up.

At least then you'd know she's pregnant.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madelineelaine View Post
    I feel like an x ray may be in order, but if it's before a certain point the bones wont show up.

At least then you'd know she's pregnant.

You should be able to find out if she's pregnant without an x ray. I'm an x ray tech and if it's early enough in the pregnancy the embryos will be vulnerable to genetic damage because of their cell stage (via radiation). I recommend checking the sides, checking her weight, having a vet check for multiple heart rates, or going with an ultrasound if you have the money (uses soundwaves as opposed to radiation). Of course this is just my preference based on my experience and profession training, it's ultimately up to you and your vet if potential benefit outweighs potential risk.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure she's pregnant now, her stomachs hard and I can feel lumps on her sides and if you sit really still with your hand on here belly you can feel small movement. I also have a stethoscope and can here chattering from inside her belly.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post705497 ok I made a new thread here in pregnant area so this is where I'll keep all the updates on whats happening. I am trying now to figure out how to delete this old thread... Lol I'm new and a little confused, but I'll figure it out. Anyway again hope all goes well with June. ( the guinea pig ).

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Be aware that guinea pigs have movement in their guts all the time. So what you are feeling may not necessarily be babies.

How old is your guinea pig? It's possible you are dealing with ovarian cysts.

I deleted your other thread. Use this one for updating.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Well I looked up the symptoms for ovarian cysts and I don't think she has them because she is very healthy, and eats and drink a lot. She's gaining weight instead of losing it. I swear I can feel tiny rib cages near her hind area and around her belly. I'm bringing her to the vet to arrow to see for sure.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Oh, and she's about 7 To 10 months from what the lady I got her from said... So I was worried she may have complication in her pregnancy... I she is pregnant ( I hope not).

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Okay, I took some pictures but she looks bigger than on the pictures. Does this give an idea on how far along she is if she is pregnant? Does she look pregnant? Like I said her tummy is a little hard but still squishy and I feel things rolling around, like rolling over my finger it's weird...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ihyjhvdgcsf.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	38431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilkjgnj.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	38432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kjgh.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	38433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zssgdxgh.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	38434

This is a pic of her when I first got her: Name:  klljutdgyj.jpg
Views: 3088
Size:  5.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    173 Rec'd/158 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Locuna View Post
    Ok, so do I post updates on her pregnancy here? I have a feeling I have to get a scale and weigh her right? What food should she be on now? I still have not found a vet close to me, I'm around the Kissimmee st.cloud area and the closest vet is in Orlando so I will make a call. I just bought 30 grids so I'm going to make a much bigger cage for her and her babies. I'm praying everything goes well I will post some pictures and maybe you guys can see how big she is and how far along?
    A kitchen scale is a good thing to have for any guinea pig - pregnant or not - so you can tell if they're loosing weight (sick) or gaining too much weight (obese). If she is pregnant, she'll need alfalfa hay/alfalfa pellets or some other source of calcium. It sounds like you have a decent sized cage for one pig, since you just bought extra grids I'd suggest "baby proofing" by doubling your grids so the pups don't get their heads stuck rather than trying to increase the size of your cage right now.

*Also, keep in mind if she has boys you might need to make a 2nd cage for them and if you use all your grids building a bigger cage now you'll either have to find a secure way to divide the cage, take it apart to form 2 cages, or buy more grids*

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure she's pregnant now, her stomachs hard and I can feel lumps on her sides and if you sit really still with your hand on here belly you can feel small movement. I also have a stethoscope and can here chattering from inside her belly.
    wow! you can hear chattering? That's cool. I had a similar situation. and everything ended up being fine. and still have the babies (minus one who died later, not due to complications) it's so cool feeling them move! congrats, and hope everything goes well

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Yeah, just a little though.. So everything turned out if be with you? Th at makes me feel better! How old was your guinea pig? Like I said mine is around 10 mounths.

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

My Calliope was pregnant when she was surrendered to the rescue I got her from. She was barely six months old. She had three babies without any issues (before I got her) and is perfectly healthy now. Belowe are some pics of when she was pregnant and of her and her babies. Her foster mom raves about what agood mom she was!

Just a word of caution . . . Several people have been fooled into thinking their piggies were pregnant because of the weight gain etc. even though they were just a little (or a lot) chubby. MY theory for those is that piggies who were not cared for properly finally get into a home where they are getting good hay, good pellets and good veggies so they go a little "hog wild" (pun#1) and start "pigging out" (pun#2) and gain a bunch of weight in the beginning. Moral to the story is that I think it is VERY important to take her to the vet to see if she is pregnant or not. Not only would this save you from spending extra money on expansions etc (if she isn't) but will also be the in the best interest of her and her potential babies health and well being. Even a regular vet should be able to tell if a piggy is pregnant by ultrasound, but a piggy vet is definitely needed in case she is pregnant and experiences any complications.

Name:	Calliope 4-22-12-w900-h900.jpg 
Views:	3054 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	38450

Name:	Babies 4-24-12 #01-w900-h900.jpg 
Views:	12224 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	38451

Name:	Babies 5-1-12 #14-w900-h900.jpg 
Views:	1134 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	38452

One of her babies had been adopted by the time this pic was taken.

Name:	PicsArt_1355455469213.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	38449

Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/201 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

To the OP-those pics don't really like she's pregnant. That can be a pretty normal shape for guinea pigs. The weight gain can be normal too if you are feeding her a much better diet than she had.
    FYI-the gestational period for guinea pigs is about 78 days so it can be a long pregnancy by animal standards.
    I'll be anxious to hear what the vet says.
    I'm not saying you didn't hear anything-but it's hard to imagine you could hear babies. Are you sure it wasn't your pig making noises in her mouth like little whines?

The second set of pics-those are good preggy pig pics! They get really wide at the back end.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Bad news. I just got back from the vet. He says she's around 6 1/2 weeks along. Pregnant. . I didn't want to do any scans or anything so he just felt her belly, and listened with tools etc. he says he can feel them and hears multiple heart beats. So.... Yeah. He says with her age her pelvic bones may have stiffened up but it is unlikely and if anything happens while giving birth to get to the vet immediately and they can do a cesarian, but he says its not Likely. Looks like I'm going to have to start looking for homes for the babies....

oh and I also called the lady that gave her to me, and after about the 8 th time calling she finally picked up and once I told her she confessed to having put the poor girl in with males. I am getting from a rescue next time.
    Last edited by Locuna; 12-14-12 at 11:38 am.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Sorry you had/have to go through all that. Hope that everything goes well with her, and keep us posted. Love to see some pigtures when she has her babies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Bad news. I just got back from the vet. He says she's around 6 1/2 weeks along. Pregnant. . I didn't want to do any scans or anything so he just felt her belly, and listened with tools etc. he says he can feel them and hears multiple heart beats. So.... Yeah. He says with her age her pelvic bones may have stiffened up but it is unlikely and if anything happens while giving birth to get to the vet immediately and they can do a cesarian, but he says its not Likely. Looks like I'm going to have to start looking for homes for the babies....

oh and I also called the lady that gave her to me, and after about the 8 th time calling she finally picked up and once I told her she confessed to having put the poor girl in with males. I am getting from a rescue next time.
    Im not sure how old you are, but I would call her back or have your parents do it if you are young. I would tell her she needs to give you your money back and agree to pay for at least half of any medical bills she has if God forbid anything happens. Shame on her for being more concerned with greed than the health of the piggies.

User Tag List