Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ivermection/Revolution questions

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I gave you the answer in post #41. You should always read the top several posts in a page to see if someone has already answered you.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I use syringes from the baby department for medication for dosing my pets. just make sure you place it in a baggie and label it what you used it for if you keep it.

Moderator: please feel free to remove this post--I didn't see at first this topic was 3 pages long--I apologize ~soop

Last edited:

prlegl

Cavy Slave
I gave you the answer in post #41. You should always read the top several posts in a page to see if someone has already answered you.

I'm sorry I must have missed it or read it and just blanked. I have been so stressed out about this, getting his new cage, trying to find him a buddy and quarantine rules for the new one. On top of that I have a pregnant hamster that is having birth problems. So I am just a total wreck. Thank you so much for your help.

Myzzbrat

Cavy Slave
My son brought home a Guinea pig from a friend and it seems he has mange mites. We have a vet appt on Monday and though I'm hoping they will give us ivermectin I will ask about revolution. I feel bad for his new buddy as all the ivermectin I could find here is sheep drench I think that is way to strong.

My question is why behind the ear? Henry's spot is on his hind quarter and goes down straight line almost an inch wide to his bum. He's also long haired.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Myzzbrat, sheep drench and other cattle medications can be used for guinea pigs, you just have to dilute the heck out of them. If you'll post the strength of the medication you have (it will be in something like grams or milligrams per milliliter or liter) and the weight of your pig, we can help you calculate the dosage. You can also get other preparations that aren't so strong.

It's given behind the ear because guinea pigs have a relatively hairless spot there, and the medicine is well absorbed into the skin. Ivermectin doesn't work by being placed on the spot where there's scratching, but by spreading throughout the whole body through the skin.

Myzzbrat

Cavy Slave
Ty bpatters. The vet visit went well. Dr believes he's a Toupee pig. He said he wasn't sure if it was mites or ring worm. As that is tract and passed by the hair follicles. I was like WHAT!?!?!? So we got a shot of the ivermectin and will go back again next week. We also came home with the shampoo for the possible ring worm 3x a week for 2 weeks and that will take us to his last shot appointment as he will get 3 total, they also did a skin scrape. So depending on those results and the shampoo and the shots, I'm done in lol! But in 2 weeks hopefully its only mites and we can stop the shampooing. Oh and they clipped his nails. But they still look long the thumbs are a little curved in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.