Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ivermection/Revolution questions

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@PrincessAngel I just noticed that the ivermectin i got only has 5 mg of ivermectin per mL. How will this affect dosing? Can I not use it? (I just read that 1% has 10mg per mL)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Wow that IS pretty creative! :)
Do you have any idea how much a box of them would be if i got them from a pharmacy?

I would guesstimate under $10, but I don't know exactly

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
CC = ML or cc = ml; just an FYI that it is just an AKA deal.

Usually the vet or pharmacy has syringes (sans needles) that they sell or give away & u don't have to buy a whole box. Here you have to have a prescription for them. Or if you go to the pharmacy you could ask where (after asking for a free syringe) the baby things are bc human babies are given liquids thru droppers & syringes.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
You can also buy droppers/syringes at Petstores. You can always try to take the top part off the ivermectin and just put the syringe or dropper in without using a needle.

Petco Handfeeding Syringe & Medicine Dropper Set for Small Animals at PETCO

I actually don't need a needle to be able to draw the dose from this. It's in a normal bottle with a lid. :)
They probably have those syringes at petsmart, too right? I don't know of any petco thats close to where i live. Of course i'd probably only buy one from a petstore if i absolutely can't find them anywhere else, I hate the thought of giving pet stores money. :p

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Mites treatment not working or just dry skin?

I've given George two treatments for mites and he's still scratching. Not as much as he was but it's still fairly common.
Could his skin just be dried out? Or do I need to continue giving him treatments?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need at least three treatments, a week apart.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
You need at least three treatments, a week apart.
Okay thank you! His first two treatments were a week and a half apart and it's been about a week -maybe a week and a half- since his last treatment so I'll treat him again tomorrow. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I prefer not going a full 10 days. I always treat only 7 days apart, and three times, as bpatters says.

However, some pigs will require 4, even 5 times. You can continue trying the ivermectin, or even try Revolution.

Or, you could try applying it in a different manner. Pour-on, of course, needs to be topical. The injectable can be used either topically, orally, or by injection (only a vet does this one!).

prlegl

Cavy Slave
0.5mg/kg of 1% Ivermectin solution for each piggie. Most Ivermectin is fine.
(You can also get the 0.5% Ivermectin, just double the dose so it'll be 1mg/kg)

IF your pig weights 1kg, you'd give him 0.5mg of 1% solution behind his ear

Repeat once again 7-10 days later.

EDIT: 1kg = 2.2lbs~
0.5mg = 0.05cc
1mg = 0.1cc

I just purchased Durvet Ivermectin Pour on 250ml from Amazon (this is the link (broken link removed)). It looks just like the stuff at The Little Piggie Market Place (link (broken link removed)). My question is do I have the right stuff? I ask because I sent a note to the people I bought it from asking them to hurry with the shipping and their response was "Are you aware that this item is for use on cattle?" So now I'm worried. Plz advise.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I just purchased Durvet Ivermectin Pour on 250ml from Amazon (this is the link (broken link removed)). It looks just like the stuff at The Little Piggie Market Place (link (broken link removed)). My question is do I have the right stuff? I ask because I sent a note to the people I bought it from asking them to hurry with the shipping and their response was "Are you aware that this item is for use on cattle?" So now I'm worried. Plz advise.

Ivermectin is used "off-label" in animals other than horses, cattle, and swine. It only means it hasn't gone through the testing required for use in guinea pigs and other animals. Vets use it "off-label" as well.

I'd check the concentration of ivermectin in the pour-on to make sure it's the same as the stuff recommended at Guinea Lynx, so you can be sure you are dosing correctly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@prlegl, somewhere on the ivermectin you bought is the strength of it, something like .5mg/ml or 10mg/10ml or 1g/5ml. It's always in grams or milligrams per milliliter (or cc, they're just two different words for the same amount) or kilogram. You have to know that before you can calculate the dosage. Post it here, along with the weight of your pig, and someone can help you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Roughly, @spy9doc, but I'd still like to know what the pig weighs.

prlegl

Cavy Slave
@prlegl , somewhere on the ivermectin you bought is the strength of it, something like .5mg/ml or 10mg/10ml or 1g/5ml. It's always in grams or milligrams per milliliter (or cc, they're just two different words for the same amount) or kilogram. You have to know that before you can calculate the dosage. Post it here, along with the weight of your pig, and someone can help you.

I haven't received it yet but I will look. My piggie weighs 1lb 3.4 oz

prlegl

Cavy Slave
@prlegl , somewhere on the ivermectin you bought is the strength of it, something like .5mg/ml or 10mg/10ml or 1g/5ml. It's always in grams or milligrams per milliliter (or cc, they're just two different words for the same amount) or kilogram. You have to know that before you can calculate the dosage. Post it here, along with the weight of your pig, and someone can help you.

Ok so the Ivermectin came in today. This is a picture of the bottle. I have no idea how to use it. My piggie is 1lb 3.4 oz.

Also his new cage came. Should I wait to put him in it until he has been treated?

IMAG0607.jpgIMAG0608.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should always have someone check your calculations for medication unless you're very used to doing it. I do it only occasionally, so someone should check mine.

The usual dosage of ivermectin for guinea pigs is .5 mg of ivermectin per kilogram of weight. Your pig is roughly half a kilo (.55), so you need .25 mg of ivermectin.

Your ivermectin is 5 mg per milliliter, which means there's .5 g in .1 ml. You only need .25 mg, so you need .05 ml of the solution.

You should be able to get 1 cc syringes without needles from your pharmacy -- tell them it's for giving medicine to a guinea pig. Draw up the .05 cc -- it will only be a tiny amount in the syringe. Put it behind the ears, fold the ear over, and rub in well.

CCs and milliliters are the same thing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, that is total dosage. And yes, I'd put a dab behind each ear.

prlegl

Cavy Slave
Somebody plz help me I'm freaking out. I got the Ivermectin and I don't want to give him the wrong dose. My piggie weighs 1lb 3.4 oz (605 grams). I am attching pics of the bottle. IMAG0607.jpgIMAG0608.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.