Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

How many bales?

I admit that I am not very good at tracking my piggies hay consumption and I usually buy online and put the hay into lawn/leaf bags for storage so I don't know how much is actually in them. Anyway, I finally found some great bales of local 2nd cutting...which is rare in NY this year because of the weather. I want to make sure I have enough to get me through until next year but I have no idea how many bales that will take. My piggies have a hay rack and I also throw in a handful every couple days for them to play in. I have 6 pigs. Does anyone have any idea how many bales I should look to buy to get me through a year? Storage is not an issue at all. Thanks!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    It takes my 4 about 6 months to eat a 75lb bail. My guess would be at least 3 bails for 6 pigs.

3. "Thank you, Inle_Rabbit, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Re: How many bales?

Thanks. I was thinking about the same plus a couple just to be sure and to have some for them to play in. I think I will get 6.

Thanks
    Thanks
    166 Rec'd/116 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Back when I had 5 pigs, it took me about 10 months to go through a 70lb bale of Hay. Admittedly it wasn't their favorite hay (Aussie hay isn't fantastic), but this was a bale of very soft, very green grassy hay...spoilt brats had been fed on Oxbow for a couple months by that stage as I was waiting for the Hay season to kick into high gear...couldn't afford to feed them Oxbow all year round though. Hay does have a finite storage life too. Especially if it's in bags (I stored mine in open, stacked crates, took 3 120L storage tubs), it will eventually spoil (and potentially mould) especially if you live in a damp area or an area with humid days. Hay + Plastic + Humidity = Ugh...wasted hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Thanks @Aertyn. The bales I am getting are less than 30 pounds and I store them in large leaf paper bags with holes poked. They are stored in my house, I have an extra room just for storage, so they usually last a year. Once I get more hay, next year, I usually use the old hay around my yard and throw big piles into the cage for them to play in. I would rather have too much than too little since we are in the middle of a huge drought. Hay is already uo to $7 a bale around here when the normal price used to be $2.50. Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

I agree! I buy 60lb bales and for 3-4 piggies I generally go through 2 bales a year but my piggies don't waste any hay! Hay can stay good for up to 2 years if properly stored so if you get extra its not a big deal!

User Tag List