Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Human/Piggie Bonding??

mama_

Cavy Slave
Today I adopted Miguel (aka Michael) & Tulio.

Here is Michael:
Miguel - Day 1.jpg

Here is Tulio:
Tulio - Day 1.jpg

So, I'm not sure how to act with them. Do I give them their space? Make myself present? So far, Tulio has been hiding out in his igloo for the last couple hours. Michael is roaming around the cage, eating, sniffing, chewing, etc. I put my hand out for Michael to smell and he will freeze for a moment and then sniff me a little. If I attempt to pet him, he either runs away or walks away backwards. But regardless, I still have not pet him. I so badly just want to pick him up and hold him so he will get accustomed to me. His prior owner said they are big cuddlers so I'm sure they're just freaked out by the new people, cage, and home.

The poor things were kept in a petstore cage about the size of a 2x1 with NO HAY - they're now in a 2x4 and I'm pretty sure they love it. This is my first time owning guinea pigs and I've watched VIDEOS of piggies popcorning but I've never actually seen it firsthand. It looked like they were popcorning, it was like a twitch...it wasn't while they were running but they would run a little, stop, twitch, run some more. Sometimes they shake their heads like a wet dog would and its super cute. They're supposed to be bonded but Michael keeps chasing Tulio around and nipping his rear and Tulio just keeps making Chewbacca noises at him. Even when Michael is just smelling him or near him he makes that noise. They didn't do this when I picked them up nor during the 45 min ride home.

Another question is should I take them to the vet? They look and act perfectly healthy and the prior owner said they were healthy. I'm just not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do or not. Also, below is a picture of one of the piggie's nails. Is this too long? Should I trim them? If I should trim them, but they won't let me hold them yet, is it ok to wait?

photo (8).jpg

PiggyPride

Cavy Slave
1. Welcome Michael & Tulio! :)
2. This is normal behavior if you just got them. Imagine yourself, being brought to a new home, in a different environment, with different people.
3. If they are eating okay and functioning okay there is no need to take them to the vet.
4. Don't pick them up unless necessary. On Day One, let them get used to their new cage.
5. What to do- Day One- Let them get used to their new home and environment. You can be around them, trying to pet them, or get them to come near you.... etc.
What to do- Day Two- Give them fresh food, including some veggies. They should be used to their new environment by now. You can go ahead and pick them up if you would like. When holding them only do so for up to 8 minutes (each). Then, put them back in their cage. Wait 30 minutes or an hour and hold them if you would like.
What to do- Day Three- Give them fresh food, including veggies. (Don't forget to change their water.) Today they should be more accustomed to their new surroundings. You can pat them, lap feed them, play with them, and hold them today. One really fun thing to do with your pig is to get a pile of dirty laundry and let your pigs explore it. Please, for your pigs' sake do not play with them for more than 37 minutes at a time. As the days go by, you can increase the max. playing time if you want.
6. Hope this helped, all though listen to some of your own ideas, too. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helped :D

mama_

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the day by day synopsis....that was EXACTLY what I needed!

Tulio's name has officially been changed to Jordan. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.