Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my guinea pig pregnant?

Jazzy Fay

Cavy Slave
IMG_20121120_093215.jpg
I think my guinea pig is pregnant. she's been getting a lot of weight daily and it's very notice. she's 5 and a half months old and I think she is about 2 months pregnant. my younger sisters put my female guinea pig in my male guinea pig in the same cage. she has been very moody. She used to love getting her belly rubbed, but now, if you touch the side of her stomach, she snaps and bites you. Also, she eats twice th amount of food that my male guinea pis eats, and my guinea pig is older. She drinks ALOT of water!!. She went into heat once, but it was really short. Sh was calling my male guinea pig and then my sister left them alone together and after that, she started acting differentdifferent, and she suddently fell out of heat. I think shes pregnant. What do you think?

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! How long were the pigs together? Ask your little sisters if the boar mounted her, but just by the given information I'd most likely say she was pregnant. Is your male guinea pig alone? If so, I'd definitely invest in adopting a friend for him, or if/when the sow gives birth, allow him to bond with the babies you are certain are males or get him neutered and put him in with your sow. If the sow is alone as well, I would do the same for her-allow her to bond with her sow baby/babies, adopt another sow, or get her spayed. Make sure to baby-proof her cage and feed her unlimited alfalfa hay. Info on a normal delivery: https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html Peter Gurney's advice on pregnancy and delivery, it's long but worth it-https://www.oginet.com/pgurney/pregnancy.htm Info on why your pigs need a friend: Guinea Pigs Social Life

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She doesn't look pregnant to me. If she's 2 months along she only has another two weeks or so to go. Has she had contact with the male since then?

Jazzy Fay

Cavy Slave
I dont think she is 2 months. I think 1 1/2 months. She has had contact, but not in that was. Just sniffing. Also before, she started going into heat and wanted to be with hum. That didnt last long cuz thats when my sister put them together. But after they were together, she kinda fell out of heat. Also, if she is pregnant, this is her first liter.

Jazzy Fay

Cavy Slave
I will post another pic of her tomorrow

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
May I just ask something. Do you want her to be pregnant?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.