Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance How much mounting is too much mounting?

Kalene

Cavy Slave
My guys have always had tiffs, and I've been reassured it's normal. However, since I upgraded their cage yesterday to a MUCH bigger cage, they have more room to run around and the more dominant one has began to mount the other, a lot. I would say I SEE them do it about 20 times a day, but then again I do sleep and go to class at different times during the day, so it's probably a lot more.

They can both eat. They fight over food so I separate them when they eat. The less dominant one is fine, and eats his food, but the dominant one stresses out, trying to get to the other (he still does eat). He seems to be causing problems regardless if they're together or not.

They can both eat, neither of them have scabs or battle wounds, they're not losing weight, they're drinking, peeing and pooping and sleeping fine. I still can't help but worry.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
When in a new environment some pigs feel a need to re-establish dominance. I have had pigs who do it every time I cleaned their cage. It should subside in time.

Kalene

Cavy Slave
When in a new environment some pigs feel a need to re-establish dominance. I have had pigs who do it every time I cleaned their cage. It should subside in time.

It has been three days and they're still at it as much as before. I have to clean their cage tonight so I feel that any progress they've made will be (literally) wiped clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.