Thread: How much mounting is too much mounting?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

How much mounting is too much mounting?

My guys have always had tiffs, and I've been reassured it's normal. However, since I upgraded their cage yesterday to a MUCH bigger cage, they have more room to run around and the more dominant one has began to mount the other, a lot. I would say I SEE them do it about 20 times a day, but then again I do sleep and go to class at different times during the day, so it's probably a lot more.

They can both eat. They fight over food so I separate them when they eat. The less dominant one is fine, and eats his food, but the dominant one stresses out, trying to get to the other (he still does eat). He seems to be causing problems regardless if they're together or not.

They can both eat, neither of them have scabs or battle wounds, they're not losing weight, they're drinking, peeing and pooping and sleeping fine. I still can't help but worry.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Re: How much mounting is too much mounting?

When in a new environment some pigs feel a need to re-establish dominance. I have had pigs who do it every time I cleaned their cage. It should subside in time.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: How much mounting is too much mounting?

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post
    When in a new environment some pigs feel a need to re-establish dominance. I have had pigs who do it every time I cleaned their cage. It should subside in time.
    It has been three days and they're still at it as much as before. I have to clean their cage tonight so I feel that any progress they've made will be (literally) wiped clean.

User Tag List