Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My first C&C cages were built today!

Kalene

Cavy Slave
Hey all!
So, this is more of a post of pride, rather than a question or seeking advice.
Last week on Tuesday I adopted two guines pigs, but their space was way cramped and I researched my BUTT off and found that it was dangerous to have them together in that small a space.
SO, I've created my first ever C&C cages today! My mom gave me an advance on my birthday gift and helped pay my way, as the piggies just sorta fell into my lap by happenstance. Since my guys were having territory issues, and yawning, chattering and rumbling at each other while also having stand-offs, I decided to make two separate cages, each of them 2 grids by 4 grids. I got the grids at Walmart, for any Ontario residents wondering where to get them. I'm sure Canadian Tire would have them too!

I decided to do a 6" lip on two walls, and a 12" lip on the back walls. I have also made it so if I feel it is safe once i reintroduce the pigs, I can easily make the two cages into one. Ah, the beauty of C&C!

Here's a photo of one of the cages, complete with the fleece bedding. (I'm not home right now, I'm at my mom's for the weekend, but my roommate watched my piggies for the weekend. The cage is only outdoors because that's the only place I had room to build it at my mom's place.)
Since I have to move the cages, they're not fully tied down yet with zip ties, so that's why it looks a bit crooked. Also the tape looks bad and I plan on fixing that too.

What do you think? A good sized home for one cavy? (I think if you click the picture it will be bigger)

When I get it all set up, each one will have a water bottle (side mounted), a hay feeder, a metal food dish, a hidey-home, a fleece forest, and either a pipe or a cardboard box to play in. I will also be sprinkling some CareFresh in the corners as my piggies LOVE to play with it, burrow with it— they drag it into their hidey homes!

image.jpg

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Good Job! You can put two pigs in there, so get your little one a friend, adopting of coarse. ;)

Kalene

Cavy Slave
Good Job! You can put two pigs in there, so get your little one a friend, adopting of coarse. ;)

I do have two piggies, but they're not getting along very well. I'm going to keep them separate for a while and then try to introduce them, and eventually I hope to have two 2X4 cages joined into one, for both my piggies, in an "L" shape. I think they're going to love it!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
That's a great idea!

squishycar

Cavy Slave
Awesome! Nice work! I'll be spending my Christmas money on my piggy!

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks great I'm sure your piglets will love it!

Kalene

Cavy Slave
Update: it actually looks like this all finished:

image1.jpg

They loooooove it.

Pigluv

Cavy Slave
Oh wow it looks fantastic all finished. :) Great job on your first! Hope the pigs get along better now. :) x

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Oh I love it ! Such a huge cage too!

Maybe down the road you can make a kitchen or a loft or something!

I love cage designs :D

Kalene

Cavy Slave
Oh I love it ! Such a huge cage too!

Maybe down the road you can make a kitchen or a loft or something!

I love cage designs :D

Thanks! I definitely want to start saving my money up for another pack of grids. I'd love to make another level eventually! It's actually so rewarding, building and reno-ing the cages!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It is. I love doing it. The last expansion my mom told me no more. And so, my cage building seems to have come to an end. I wanted to go for a third level so badly too.

cavyqueeeen

Cavy Slave
Yep once you start it becomes addicting. I have had to move my cages into their own separate "piggy" room because having two 2x9's was getting a little too overwhelming in my room. But I love it and so do the piggies. Once you start building C&C cages you are hooked and can never go back.

Kalene

Cavy Slave
Yep once you start it becomes addicting. I have had to move my cages into their own separate "piggy" room because having two 2x9's was getting a little too overwhelming in my room. But I love it and so do the piggies. Once you start building C&C cages you are hooked and can never go back.

I absolutely agree. I had so much fun doing it, and seeing how happy my piggies are makes it all soooooo much more worthwhile than it already is! I think it looks great in my room, and there's nothing better than happy piggies. They are already showing me their personality, coming to the edges of the cage to greet me and look for petting and treats. I'm actually so happy I feel like tearing up a few times because while i've only had them for a week I've put my heart and soul into research and work towards making them happier and improving their living conditions. It's so rewarding and the pigs are the best pets I could have chosen to go with.

And I LOVE THIS FORUM. You guys all rock.
Sorry, getting emotional, haha.

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
It's great that you swapped your cage type, I'm planning to do the same hopefully, fingers crossed ;)

Lyndsy

Cavy Slave
AWESOME cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.