Thread: My first guinea pig & I'm soo in love!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

My first guinea pig & I'm soo in love!

I got my first guinea pig yesterday & I am so in love with her. I got her from a girl who was in college & decided, after a month, that she did not have the time or finances to care for a pet any longer. She told me that her cage was very small so I started planning on building my own immediately. Her cage ended up being 1 ft x 2 ft. What's even worse is that her first "cage" was 12 in x 10 in. Wow! Luck would have it that the morning I'm going to go pick up Harlow (her new name) I check the craigslist for that town & found a C&C cage! It set me back $50 but I think that it was well worth it because I didn't have to find grids or coroplast. Her cage now is a

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080369.jpg 
Views:	988 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	37138
    2 x 3 C&C with a loft. No veggies yet as of this picture. I tried a very small pieces of apple & banana & bigger pieces of carrots & lettuce & she didn't want any of it. Her former owner gave her to me without any hay or veggies & never mentioned any either. So, I don't think poor Harlow ever had any before yesterday, except maybe at the pet store I believe she was probably purchased at.

Name:	P1080370.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	37139
    Side view. My husband bought a ferret bed for her before he knew about the fleece ones I would have had made. Luckily, Harlow loves it. I figure it will be a great size for when I have 2 guineas.

Name:	P1080375.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	37137
    She's still pretty small. I'm guessing 3-4 months old but I have absolutely no real idea. She really is the sweetest thing ever! Her previous name was Sweetie & I can tell why. She does not like being grabbed out of her cage but once I have her in my lap she is the most loving animal I think I have ever came across. I'm not exaggerating either! I've owned cats, dogs, hamsters, & a chinchilla & it seems like they get disinterested or distracted at some point but she will sit in my lap for as many hours as I let her. Is that normal? Do you think it's because she's new to my house? Or maybe because she doesn't have a guinea friend? Or could it really be that I just have the best guinea ever???

I'm getting a sister for her tomorrow & these are the pictures that I was sent.

Name:	121116_0003.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	37153 Name:  121116-0003-1.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  66.8 KB

She said that she will be 7 weeks tomorrow so I'm assuming the second picture is the more recent one. I will put her in quarantine for 21 days in my bedroom since she is going to coming from a breeder that supplies a pet store. (This pet store has been around for 15 years & is very well trusted & respected. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother.) I have searched high & low for another option but can't find any that would actually work. I found one other adult female but the person that had her kept avoiding telling me her age & I believe she may have been pregnant. The only other female I have found was 300+ miles away. The closest one in any shelters or rescues was still 4 hours away.

I think I will convert the cage to a 3 x 3 with a loft but I'm not 100% sure on any design yet, only that it will be a minimum of 10.5 sq. ft. I'm also going to be putting a lid on it since I have two small children & regularly watch my infant nephew.

Please tell me what you think about the pictures I have posted & anything that I have said. I want to give these little piggies the best life possible & do not want to unknowingly hurt them in any way so please critique away!
    Last edited by Amber Barrera; 11-17-12 at 01:35 am.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

Re: My first guinea pig & I'm soo in love!

Cute! I love your cage setup too, I am planning one just like it for my Luna. Luna loves to be held. She is quite content to just sit on my lap for hours. She's super sweet. Luna makes adorable happy noises while being petted.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    380 Rec'd/274 Posts

50 for a 2x3 with a loft?? That's a deal! I bought my 2x3 c&c cage from this site, with no loft, and it was almost 70$.
    Harlow is very cute! If she's not used to getting veggies it'll take her a little bit to want to try them. That's how George was when I started feeding him veggies (after i learned that they were supposed to get 1 cup of them a day). At first he wouldn't even touch his green bell peppers or cherry tomatoes. But now he loves them!
    I wouldn't feed her fruit too much. It's supposed to be an occasional thing because of all the sugar that's in it.

The other piggy you're wanting to adopt is also quite cute! Although I don't really agree with you getting her from a breeder..

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/28 Posts

If your going to get two guinea pigs, the minium cage size is 2x4, and I wouldn't get one from a breeder if you could get a sister from else where! Other than that, you seem like a very good guinea pig owner and well done for getting her! You certainly sound like you know what your doing! I would also introduce the veggies slowly if you don't know if she has had them before. It might take her a while to get used to them!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/72 Posts

How wonderful for you! I got my first guinea 6 months ago and I love her. It is amazing how such a little animal can get into your heart so deeply.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Amber........don't be intimidated by those who want to criticize you for acquiring a cavy from a reputable breeder. Some just don't seem to get the message that it's not o.k. to beat up on newbies. You obviously have given a lot of thought to planning a cage and the care of cavies, and that is paramount.

Since you're new to the site, I encourage you to become intimate friends with the "search engine" and browse through the posts dating back some 7-8 years and to look at the many pics in the gallery to borrow many creative ideas. There is a wealth of information on the site, and you will find the answers to most of your questions.

Sounds as though you are already beginning to understand why we call ourselves "cavy slaves".
    first of all, there is a big difference between getting a pet from a breeder or a store when you don't know any better. But getting one when you clearly know better just because you aren't willing to wait a few weeks to find one is another matter all together. I try not to criticize for past mistakes, I've made them myself, we all have. But doing something that you know is wrong just because it's easy is not okay. There is no reason why we should not try to stop someone from making a mistake if we have the chance to. No one here is beating her up. We are just expressing our own opinion and the opinion of the site owner as well. She will find no support for getting a pig from a breeder when she already knows better and adopted the one she has now.

Amber Barrera I'm sorry but I had to get that off my chest. I truly do mean what I said I think you made one great leap forward and then about 10 steps back when you decided to get a pig from a breeder. If you just waited a bit I'm sure you could have found another to adopt. But I'm sure you already have the pig by now so whats done is done, I hope you will make a different and better choice in the future. That said welcome to the site! As they grow that cage might become too small. If it does this is just a random idea I had but you could just detach the loft and put the 1x2 on the end and have a really easy already made kitchen area so they would have the whole 2x3 for their house and running laps.

Edit: i'm sorry I have no idea why it isn't tagging you properly. DX

7. "Thank you, Colorado Cavies, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/52 Posts

Congrats on your new pig With veggies, it may be a case of her not being settled in yet. My Noah never ate the veg I gave him when I first got him but now he can't get enough of them.
    Just a little note, I noticed in the picture there's a hole for them to get from the ramp to the loft. When you expand, will you be having a hole like this or just not have any grids 'above' the ramp, if you get me? Because when they get bigger, they might have a little more difficulty getting through. That's just going from the size I can see on the picture.

Your baby is very cute, looks just like my Elmo when he was a baby, even the ginger stripe. But he has a crest and a ginger eyebrow too

I recommend looking through the cages in the gallery to get some ideas, and also look in the diet section if you're having difficulties with veg My two's favourites are lettuce and carrots, they won't really eat fruit other than tomato, but they're good with veggies. And they LOVE green beans but they can't have them too often because of excessive calcium.

PS. On the breeder front, regarding the posts above, whilst I'm a little bit iffy about getting pigs from a breeder that supplies to pet stores we need to remember this person is new to the site and has a lot to learn. A lot of people here have even gone to pet stores for their pigs in the past. At the moment it's great that she is taking the time to learn about piggy care and has even immediately bought a c&c - lots of people, including myself, start off with a pet store cage before they realise it's not big enough.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cavies View Post
    As they grow that cage might become too small. If it does this is just a random idea I had but you could just detach the loft and put the 1x2 on the end and have a really easy already made kitchen area so they would have the whole 2x3 for their house and running laps.
    This is a good point. When my boys were in a 2x3 Noah was a few months old and Elmo was a baby so it wasn't as bad, but now they're getting bigger I've had to expand so they've got more room to run laps. I now have a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft. The loft is where they eat, their food + hay is there, so then downstairs is primarily for playing, running and snuggling.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I really do appreciate all of it.

I completely understand what you mean about the breeder. I knew that I would catch flak for it but I decided to be honest about where I got her from instead of lying or completely omitting it. I found her on a page that is kind of like craigslist & was under the assumption that the guinea was for adoption. I saw that the woman had being posting an ad for a couple of weeks & didn't have any other ads for any other animals. I started talking with the lady & she started asking all sorts of questions. She wanted to know how big my cage is, how many other guineas I had, where I got my other guinea, what kinds of food & hay I used, ect. so it really seemed like she was trying to find her guinea a new good home. Last night I was texting her & asked her for another picture. She sent me one of my new guinea & 3 other guineas as well. I asked her if those other guineas were hers & that's when she told me she was a breeder. I immediately had a sinking feeling in my gut. I did feel better when I saw her place & how she treats her guineas though. The mom, another adult female, & 3 babies (who were 7 weeks old & 2 years old) were free range in a family room. The dad & a brother were in a 3x6 C&C in the living room. She said that between the two females there had only been 3 litters in the last 4 years.

I do plan on expanding the cage once my new little one, Hadley, is out of quarantine. I'm either going to make it a 2x4 or a 3x3 but I'm not sure yet. Iamsnape, I hadn't thought about the grid above the stairs yet. I was thinking that if I make the cage a 3 x 3 of putting the ramp in the middle of the cage so that they have more running room. I will have to take a look at some gallery pictures & see what other people decided to do. Thank you for pointing that out to me though.

I keep offering Harlow veggies & she does seem to show a little bit more interest than she has the last few days. Before she would walk on by like they weren't even there. Today I offered her lettuce & grated carrot. She actually stopped, sniffed it & took a little nibble. I won't be offering her any more fruits for awhile. I know that they are supposed to be used very sparingly I was just curious to see if maybe her last owner had been feeding her fruits instead of veggies. Apparently, she wasn't.
    Last edited by Amber Barrera; 11-17-12 at 03:36 pm. Reason: Grammar & spelling

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/52 Posts

I know some people on this forum advise on making the cages longer and wider, for the benefit of the owner. Obviously the bigger the better, but generally 2x4s are easier to clean/spot clean than 3x3s Or so everyone with cages 3 grids wide or bigger have told me

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts

They are adorable, congrats on them! Im sure you will take great care of them, it sounds like you really

User Tag List