Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My C&C Project (Grids)

mama_

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!

So I have finally completed the grid part of my C&C cage. Took a lot of work. I had a 6 cube set I bought from Target about a year and a half ago - great, sturdy thing that actually functioned as it was supposed to for the last 18 months. I took it apart and reassembled as the storage base for my C&C. It was a funky little kit though - it came with 9 8x8 grids and 14 5x5 grids (both sizes I've learned aren't appropriate for piggies; hence why they are the storage base). I bought a new 'Stor Flor' 6 cube set from Kmart for $18.99 + tax. The grids are 9x9 (safe for piggies) but the connectors are crap. The first connector I tried to use from a grid from my previous set literally snapped in half as soon as I tried to use it. Apparently the metal on the Target set is slightly thicker than the metal on the Kmart set so they don't fit very well. I still need to outfit my cage with zipties for added stability, which I realize I should have done while I was making it.

I am still in search of a cheap supplier to purchase white Coroplast...that's my next step. I've seen the pre-built C&C cages and would love to just purchase one and save myself from all this work but unfortunately I just can't afford that route. Since I already had a 6 cube set, the only purchase I need for this are another 6 cube set ($18.99) + Coroplast (however much that will cost....I've seen somewhere around $11-15 for a 48 x 96 sheet not including shipping), and then the fleece I'll be using as lining and attempting to sew. So I'm saving money but spending extra time (I'm hoping I'll appreciate it more). Oh yea, I forgot, I'm also planning on purchasing the ramp from the site's store because I don't really want to attempt to make a crappy homemade Coroplast one and I personally don't like the look of the bent grid ramps.

Anyways, enough about that. I'm making this more of a blog than a random post...sorry. :)

So I guess for anyone else who is trying to build a C&C cage....

Supplies
cubes (6 cube set = 23 grids + 24-26 connectors; some sets include extras)
Coroplast
zip ties (looks better if you match the ziptie to your grid color)

Tips
-I had to re-position some (ok, a lot of) connectors while putting my cage together; this can really hurt your thumbs...I grabbed a wash cloth and put that over the connectors when trying to pry them off
-when buying more than one set of cubes, buy the same exact type. They are not all the same.
-REMEMBER TO GET THE 9X9 GRIDS, ALL OTHERS ARE UNSAFE FOR PIGGIES

Since I haven't gotten as far as the Coroplast and fleece lining yet, I guess I'll have to come by with stories/tips/pictures when I've conquered those aspects of this project.

By the way, building a C&C cage may seem daunting but it's really not. I created the base yesterday in an hour, bought another set today after work and by the time I bathed, fed, and got my son to bed so I could work on the cage it was 7pm. It only took me about an hour and a half to put the rest together. It's really not that hard.

Good luck to anyone attempting this. Please feel free to leave any questions, comments, concerns, etc!!

(Oh, and by the way, I do NOT have piggies yet...Once my cage is officially complete I will be adopting two males from a rescue.) My C&C Project (Grids)

Nix16

Cavy Slave
It's looking good, but I think you're going to have to pull it apart to get the coroplast in there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

lifesvr7

Cavy Slave
I didn't have to pull mine apart to put the coroplast in. Just had to maneuver it a bit. As for connectors, I used a pair of pliers to help. Get the grids in tight. It saves your fingers.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I had the same problem with my grids being different thicknesses. I ended up just using zip ties and no connectors.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Where are you located? A Sabic maybe in your area. I got a 4ftx8ft sheet for $15.
(broken link removed)

mama_

Cavy Slave
Where are you located? A Sabic maybe in your area. I got a 4ftx8ft sheet for $15.
(broken link removed)

I live in the Bay Area, California. Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

mama_

Cavy Slave
Lol well thanks for the heads up!! Hopefully if that is necessary ill only need to take the loft off for full access to the bottom. The loft was simple enough to build.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Last time I called Sabic Polymershapes in our area, they wanted $20 per sheet for the white sheet. I think there's also a $50 minimum order. It's different every time I call, so I guess it depends on the person picking up the phone.

Here's another place you can buy coroplast. Prices vary between colors. Tell them you're asking for their retail prices (you have to be sign makers to get their wholesale price). I've paid between $18 - $30 at this place.
(broken link removed)

Another one, all colors for around $30 after tax.
TAP Plastics : TAP Plastics

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@lissie, that's interesting, mine had a minimum order of $25. Pricing and min invoice must depend on your area.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Almost forgot, a cheaper option. $11.78 before tax.
This one will fit up to a 2x4.5 cage if you make the sides 4.5 inches tall.
(broken link removed)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Yeah, you won't be able to get the choroplast in that!

Sorry to bear the bad news :(

I love the cage though! And good luck with sewing liners.

I'm currently planning massive super heavy duty ones for my cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Just thought of another place to get coroplast.
Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose carries all colors. If I remember correctly, they sell them at $25 per sheet.
I like this store, they don't sell pets and regularly host adoption events.
They also carry good quality hay for $1 per lb.

Andys Pet Shop

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Looks great! I just got finished with my cage today. I have to kinda tear down a few grids to get the coroplast to fit. Good luck! :)
Have you got names planned out for your boys? :)

Thanks for sharing lissie and MrWhistles on where we can get coroplast for cheep. Now... if I ever need more, I know just the places!! :)

mama_

Cavy Slave
Oh great, thanks! That's close enough. And I won't have to pay for shipping.

mama_

Cavy Slave
It depends. Since I'm adopting, if they've had their names for a while, respond to their names, and I can live with their names then I'll stick with their names. Otherwise I may name one Madden and I'm not sure about the other...my son likes Lennox, I like Amadeus or Deus.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing lissie and MrWhistles on where we can get coroplast for cheep. Now... if I ever need more, I know just the places!! :)

You're welcome. Didn't know you live near me. Most of the places I've posted are local stores for Bay Area.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
When you complete the cage, I want to see pics! It looks like it's going to be awesome.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.