Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Question about danger of grids

mama_

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

I keep reading that the number of squares on a grid can create choking/death hazards for your piggie. I've read that you should have 9x9 however I've never actually seen those. I bought a 6 storage cube set and interestingly it came with about 9 8x8 grids and 12 5x5 grids. I used the 5x5 against the wall thinking they were too big of holes and didn't want them attempting to get out and then used the 8x8 grids facing outward but I'm now reading that the 8x8s are dangerous?

Also, if you're using 6" Coroplast will they really go out of their way to wander 6 inches up to stick their heads through the grids? I don't own guinea pigs yet as I'm still in the process of building my cage so maybe they do try to stick their heads through over the Coroplast but I seemed to imagine that the Coroplast sides would prohibit them or at least discourage them from sticking their heads through.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I have shorter walls than you do, but they'll put their front feet up on the cloroplast and look out. They occasionally chew on the grids. I have the 9X9 grids so they can't get their heads through.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The 8 space ones pose a strangling risk. You need to overlap them or replace them so the spaces are smaller. 6" sides won't protect them.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are your grids from Target? You can find the safe ones from Sears, Walmart, K-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond and Amazon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.