Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Tips for washing fleece in a high efficiency washer

My washer was on its last leg so I reluctantly bought a new one. I wanted to buy one of the old ones with an agitator but could only find really small models. The salesperson said the old detergent is being fazed out so you won't be able to buy it anymore, anyway. I can't find any information on how or where to add vinegar. Any tips would be welcome. This is a top loader. A friend of mine bought a front loader said it molds up and smells if you keep the door shut.

Thanks
    Thanks
    102 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Re: Tips for washing fleece in a high efficiency washer

I have a Samsung front loader HE that I've had for 2 years (I do not leave the door closed). I also do more laundry than any human without children you'll ever meet - guaranteed. When I wash dog or piggie stuff I add straight vinegar to the fabric softener compartment to be diluted and released during the rinse cycle. I also add straight vinegar to the bleach compartment to be diluted into the wash cycle. Works great for me...good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Mine has a "super wash" setting. I wash mine on that in really hot water to kill the germs. It takes about two hours to run the "super wash" but its worth it. Have never used vinegar and always do a sniff test after to male sure there is no urine or ammonia smell. If I have anything that is super soiled, I soak it in the sink with vinegar first, then throw it through the super wash.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

HI - I think the OP bought a top loader not a front loader but when I had a top loader I put the vinegar in the bleach compartment or even straight into the water before I put the clothes in. And to anyone that is reading this, I now have a front load washer and dryer and never knew laundry could so be so easy! Yes, you do need to leave the washer door a little open after the wash finishes but mine has a magnetic thing that keeps the door slightly ajar. and washing and drying piggy laundry is a breeze! And I add the vinegar to the fabric softener compartment also.

Thanks
    Thanks
    54 Rec'd/43 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I'm new to washing piggy fleece in a front loader but I figured that if I could successfully wash cloth diapers in it for 4+ years this couldn't be too bad LOL

Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I have a Samsung front loader that I have had for over three years, and have never left the door open. Never an issue with smells. (I cannot imagine life without this washer!!) I add vinegar right along with the detergent. In a top loader, I would add it directly to the laundry, not to one of the compartments, unless yours has a sensor and empties out any liquid before starting the cycle.

Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Do you guys add the vinegar to help with the smell? How much do you add? Like I said I have never had any issues with anything getting completely clean and having no odor of piggy messes.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm an engineer and I've worked on high efficiency topload washers before. I would recommend that you put it into the bleach or fabric softener compartment. The reason those compartments are there is so that they release the bleach/FS safely into the wash load without messing up your clothes (most people know that putting either directly onto clothes isn't a good idea since they're so strong and can mess up your colors; the compartments are designed to release the liquid when there's water in your unit to dilute it). I figure it'll do the same with the vinegar. Putting it in the bleach compartment will release it earlier in the wash cycle, putting it in your fabric softener compartment will release it in the latter half of the wash cycle (and if you want to make extra sure it'll be okay, I'd dilute it with some water before putting it in anyway).

Also, I know a lot of people are used to having that tall agitator in the middle, but a lot of high efficiency toploaders/new models now don't have that for a reason. One, it allows you to fit more clothes per wash, but also, the new design (impellers) allow you to agitate just as well, if not better, than the old models (and they supposedly don't tangle your clothes as much). The clothes won't just spin around in circles anymore, the wash cycles are designed so that the clothes circle from the top to the bottom too.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

I have the same thing SeeSpotSit has.
    Just load it like a normal washer. Add detergent, put your vinegar in the "Softener" section. Slowly shut the detergent door(the vinegar will sloosh/spill if you shut too fast). And start your wash. I wash my clothes/pig bedding on the Perm Press mode. I also recommend that you keep the washer door open when not in use. If you keep it closed you'll get a nasty mildewy smell.

The ONLY thing I don't like about my washer is I cannot rinse my detergent cup with the washer's water. I have to bring it all the way to the kitchen sink and wash it there. Otherwise it'll get all sticky and ewy.

@elkaye , I cannot reach my bleach compartment(never use it anyhow). But my detergent slot opens up with just enough room to use the detergent section and the softener section. Is this normal?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

I have a front loader, and I put it into the prewash section.

It just goes straight inside the washer as I pour it.

Works fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,571 Rec'd/1,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1160 Post(s)

It's my understanding that vinegar will cut the soap and reduce it's action and efficiency? Therefore, I never add vinegar until the rinse cycle or set the machine for adding fabric softener and use vinegar instead.

With having said this, I too have a new HE washer and love it. I do very little differently other than have to increase the water level and decrease the detergent. And, in my experience, it really doesn't matter whether I add vinegar or not. I never have any residual odor in the fleece items.

It may just be my imagination, but I'd swear that anti-pill fleece begins to smell sooner than blizzard. Anyone else have this same "hallucination"?

Thanks
    Thanks
    102 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

The vinegar counteracting the soap is a good theory. I have no idea, I've actually only used vinegar in my actual wash cycle a handful of times. I'll go back to XO during the wash cycle if needed. Vinegar is really only a staple in my rinse cycles.

It's possible about the smell...I have a super soft different type fleece (perhaps anti-pill) and it seems to get smelly. Maybe it doesn't dry as quickly?

Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I think the vinegar reduces the soap suds and some people add vinegar in order to help get all of the soap rinsed out because if there are physical suds in the machine, emptying the water does not eliminate that soap and residue. I have not heard that it reduced the ability to clean the laundry if added with the soap. Hmmm, time for Google....

Or shall I conduct my own experiment? Do one load of fleece no vinegar, one adding vinegar in the wash cycle and one adding vinegar in the rinse and see how everything smells afterwards?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

How about Iron Out? Does anyone add it to get whiter whites? I've always used it (it's a powder) in my whites but am unsure of where to put it. The salesperson also said you have to be sure you have the washer on a level surface or the bearings wear out. The installation guy said these high efficiency washing machines don't last as long as the agitator ones. I loved my super capacity Kenmore...... I think it was about 19 years old. We bought it after we moved in the house. I replaced it was because it was rusting out and started to leak.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

@cavy_jdas, you maybe onto something. I've noticed my clothes and fleece coming out in a brighter color since using vinegar.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhistles View Post
    @cavy_jdas, you maybe onto something. I've noticed my clothes and fleece coming out in a brighter color since using vinegar.

Vinegar cuts soap scum and dissolves uric acid. I was curious about using it in a HE washer because I was concerned its acidity might do something to the sensors.

Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I Googled this and there seems to be a bunch of different answers. I saw warnings about it wearing out hoses and such, but nothing about sensors, and these hoses and connectors would be comparable in a traditional washer as in an HE. I personally would not stop using it, but since the HE washer uses less water, I would use less vinegar than with an older machine so that you have a similar concentration of acid. I also think I may start adding it to the fabric softener slot

Oh, and no experience with the Iron Out. And the statement by the salesperson that you "have to be sure you have the washer on a level surface or the bearings wear out" seems fishy. They come with little leveling feet to compensate for uneven surfaces, so as long as it's installed correctly, the floor should not matter.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,571 Rec'd/1,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1160 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    The salesperson also said you have to be sure you have the washer on a level surface or the bearings wear out.
    Our new washer is very sensitive and has to be perfectly balanced or noises emit from it. We've had the service guy here a couple of times.......once was a "false alarm" (perfectly ordinary noise) and the other was when it wasn't balanced correctly and one part rubbing on another. So, I presume that your salesperson was accurate based on my experience.

What is Iron Out? I just add Oxy Clean to the wash and it doesn't seem to have affected the colors at all. My fleece is largely a black background and I haven't detected any fading of the color. I'm firmly convinced that one of the keys to getting cage fleece items really clean is to wash them in more water than you ordinarily use. Permitting the water to really get in and around the pads seems to make a difference, both in the wash cycle and thoroughly rinsing it as well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cavy_jdas View Post
    I Googled this and there seems to be a bunch of different answers. I saw warnings about it wearing out hoses and such, but nothing about sensors, and these hoses and connectors would be comparable in a traditional washer as in an HE. I personally would not stop using it, but since the HE washer uses less water, I would use less vinegar than with an older machine so that you have a similar concentration of acid. I also think I may start adding it to the fabric softener slot

Oh, and no experience with the Iron Out. And the statement by the salesperson that you "have to be sure you have the washer on a level surface or the bearings wear out" seems fishy. They come with little leveling feet to compensate for uneven surfaces, so as long as it's installed correctly, the floor should not matter.
    The instruction manual even stressed the importance of having the clothes placed in the tub so it's balanced so it won't result in damage to the unit. The until operates with bearings and moves at speeds much higher than an agitator. I think it makes sense. Cars sometimes have to have bearings replaced and if they're damaged and aren't repaired, it can lead to major repairs. The salesperson said you can hear them if they start going and that you should have them repaired to avoid major repairs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Our new washer is very sensitive and has to be perfectly balanced or noises emit from it. We've had the service guy here a couple of times.......once was a "false alarm" (perfectly ordinary noise) and the other was when it wasn't balanced correctly and one part rubbing on another. So, I presume that your salesperson was accurate based on my experience.

What is Iron Out? I just add Oxy Clean to the wash and it doesn't seem to have affected the colors at all. My fleece is largely a black background and I haven't detected any fading of the color. I'm firmly convinced that one of the keys to getting cage fleece items really clean is to wash them in more water than you ordinarily use. Permitting the water to really get in and around the pads seems to make a difference, both in the wash cycle and thoroughly rinsing it as well.
    We tend to get rust in our water, even though we have a softener. Iron Out is a water softener and cleaner. It contains Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Hydrosulfite. I don't use it for the guinea pig fleece. I use it when I wash white to keep them white.

User Tag List