Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting a buddy for Houdini

elkaye

Cavy Slave
I have a new 3-4 month old guinea pig named Houdini (he's my first) and now I'm looking to find a buddy for him. I know that it's usually better to pair him up with an older guinea pig (and how much older?) or take one that's from the same batch/group he came from because he's already familiar with them, but unfortunately that's not the case. Will he do just as well with a younger guinea pig? I know someone who's trying to get rid of their piggie that's also around 3-4 months old, but I haven't seen many forum threads about trying to pair two young males together.

I know that personalities are what usually matters in successful pairings, but I'm wondering if both being the same age (and Houdini still not completely comfortable with me yet) will spell more disaster than happiness for them. If it's a much better idea to get Houdini an adult cagemate, I'd rather do that for him.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The thing with getting another one around the same age is that they will go though puberty at the same time, which can make it more likely for fights to happen.

I'd go with an older old, that is over a year old.

elkaye

Cavy Slave
Isn't that just as likely if you adopt two brothers? They'll go through puberty at the same time as well. Are they more likely to fight too? And when is the adolescent stage?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Yes, It's the same as with two brothers.

From what I know, they can start as early as 4 months and end as late as 1 year.

elkaye

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your help guys. I was probably going to adopt this guy anyway (someone's son just doesn't want it anymore - how sad and wrong!) but I wanted to know if it was considered a definite no-no to have Houdini with another one about to go through adolescence. Turns out the guy is most likely over a year old, I just thought he looked really small and young from his picture.

Looking forward to getting him! =]

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Sounds great and good luck! I'd be sure to have a back up cage just in case but hopefully everything works out :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Just don't forgot to do quarantine! (;

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
unless getting from a reputable rescue *wink*

Yes, but in this case they're getting the pig from someone's son just doesn't want it anymore. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.