Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

TV phil in 'Peru'

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

[h=3]PHILLIP Schofield has branded hundreds of his Twitter fans “food Nazis” after they blasted him for eating a guinea pig.[/h]The presenter of This Morning and The Cube scoffed the animal in Peru — where they are a major part of the diet.
He told his 1.95 million followers what he was having for lunch then posted updates on its taste — plus pictures.
Hundreds of disgusted fans branded him cruel, but the unrepentant star insisted it was no different to eating rabbit.
One follower asked: “How could you? They are little pets, not dinner.” Schofield replied: “Not in Peru!”
Asked if he would eat dog or cat in China, the 50-year-old hit back: “Why not? I like to try what the locals eat. #bloodyhatefoodnazis.”
Schofield, who is on a trekking holiday with wife Steph, also said he’d eaten alpaca there.

Read more: (broken link removed)

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
Argh, no! How could you eat guinea pigs and cats or dog? -cries :sick::(:sick:

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
At the same time, guinea pigs are wild there. It's similar to how we eat rabbits here and keep them as pets.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'm not one for putting people on blast for the food choices that go on in other cultures.

In India, cattle are treated with respect and care. Slaughterhouses are illegal in most states (though they do still exist, as all illegal businesses do) and people can be jailed for killing or even injuring a cow. Even in major cities, they roam free in the streets and people give them snacks and pet them as they go about their business.

In America, cattle are Big Macs and Whoppers. We slaughter around 100,000 cows per day in this country, and most people do not bat an eye.

It's okay to think that some animals or even all animals shouldn't be eaten. It's even okay to accept that your own culture makes the idea of eating just certain animals taboo. It's okay to think eating a particular food is gross. I have LOTS of foods that I think are disgusting.

It is not okay to think of other cultures and ESPECIALLY the individual human beings of those cultures as lesser or uncivilized because of which animals they eat.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
I would love to travel the world and eat food not often eaten where I live.

Personally I would never eat a guinea pig or other animals I consider pets. But i'd never criticize someone for doing so. Different things are eaten and done in different cultures. Just the way it is.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
I look at it this way. There are people of other cultures that look at our pets as food. They think WE are the weirdos that are keeping said animal as a house pet. It goes the other way, too. Like someone above said in India they treat cows as pets, and probably think we think that is weird because we look at a cow as a food source.
I do find it disturbing that he was describing the taste and such to followers that told him it was disturbing. It was actually kind of mean of him.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
I do find it disturbing that he was describing the taste and such to followers that told him it was disturbing. It was actually kind of mean of him.
Yeah, this right here is just some rude nonsense. I mean, I know what a lot of weird things (including chocolate covered ants and fried grasshoppers) taste like. But basic human manners, you know?

In general, a lot of people are weirded out by all sorts of food. When you're a food writer/presenter, you have to be aware of your audience. If your audience is feeling disgusted or put off by your food descriptions, that means you're doing it wrong. A good food writer knows what details to share, what details to avoid, and when to change to topic to pizza.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Okay so I know this is a cultural thing and to people in Peru eating a guinea pig is probably as normal as eating a chicken is to us. I can't say the fact that he ate a guinea pig is wrong because it's not he can eat what he wants. But saying that I wouldn't be able to eat a guinea pig or any animal I love or especially have owned even if it was the last edible thing on earth. I even find it hard to eat rabbit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.