Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions What's Normal?

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
What's normal for an introduction?

I just introduced my bonded pair to my new baby, and there was tons of teeth chattering, squeaking, rumblestrutting, and nipping. I can't tell if it went well or not! :eek:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sounds normal!

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Really? That's great!!

I was especially worried because of the teeth chattering and nipping, but I guess that's just their piggy business? lol

jdallas2

Cavy Slave
Sounds about right to me too. :). As long as they are not all out fighting and causing damage they will sort it out. :)

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
All of that is totally normal, and you'll probably see more of it from time to time. It's kind of like when humans disagree; they might raise their voices a little, but it's nothing serious. Now, if you see your pigs going up on their hind legs, or baring their teeth, or there's any blood or truly scary looking fighting (you'll know it when you see it!), that's when you have to get involved. If this happens, make sure you don't try to grab any pig with your bare hands! They might be vegetarians, but those teeth are VERY sharp!

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thank you for the heads up! ♡

What does it look like when they bare their teeth? D: Cookie had her mouth open a little sometimes while she wobbled towards the other two but I'm not sure what that was.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
I've never seen it, personally, but I hear it looks like a long, open-mouthed, yawn. Maybe someone else who has seen it can describe it better?

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
I should add that the teeth chattering was almost constant, and everything I keep reading says that's bad. D:

I'm just being a worried mommy, haha. :(

Last edited:

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes it looks just like a yawn. I have to add a somewhat conflicting opinion here. That is what my boys did, yawn and chatter a lot with one instance of hair being pulled. I never witnessed a full on fight but it must have been their first one or a badly aimed lunge and one of my boys was bit in the eye and need surgery to remove it. I followed advice of keeping them together but my situation may be unique. I still would recommend expanding the cage if possible as a precaution and watching them.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Yeah, expanding cages does help a lot. Also, if you don't already, try to make sure you have one of every thing for every one. One water bottle for everyone, one food dish for everyone, one hay rack for everyone, one hidey for everyone. It also helps if each hidey has at least two openings, so nobody traps anyone else inside.

Always keep an eye on newly-introduced kids anyway, just in case.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Well, they definitely weren't "yawning" but the teeth chattering would not stop. They never seemed to try to bite each other, but there were a couple nips and nudges.

Unfortunately the cage can't be expanded. :( Right now Cookie is in a separate, rather small cage until I'm sure they'll be okay together. I do have enough items for them all though.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Okay I set all three of them in the playpen this time (they were in the bathroom before) and none of them is making a peep. Just some butt-sniffing! :D

IMG_2182.JPG

Edit: Though Mocha did just have her mouth open a bit and nipped at Cookie a couple times. I honestly cannot tell if this is going well or not!

Last edited:

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Sometime after my post yesterday Mocha and Cookie got into a little spat. Nobody was hurt but it was pretty scary to watch as a mommy.

The worst part, honestly, is that whenever they would fight or whenever they'd get close to Chai, Chai would start squealing. :(

Mostly, though, they just ate hay together. I'm guessing that's a good sign? I really don't know how it's going at this point but no blood has been drawn, so I guess it's going in the right direction.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Alright, well, they're all in the C&C cage together and seem to be doing okay. There's some chasing but no more spats.

The thing I'm worried about now is that Mocha and Chai are just now cowering in corners and not moving from them or eating much. When Cookie comes close they start squealing very shrilly. Will they be okay? I'm worried they're stressed out or something from being terrified. :(

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It takes time for them to become comfortable with each other. Don't separate them.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
This all seems very normal.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks everyone for tolerating all of my rambling and questions. I just get so worried about my babies!! :weepy:

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Should I consider it a success if they've all been together for an entire day without anything bad happening, even though there are some non-harmful bites and squealing/running away? lol

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I would. Also here is a great link Guinea Pigs Social Life made by the owner of this site. It will tell you all you need to know and look out for!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.