Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Singapore/Malaysia Fleece / wired cage?

TobbyChan

Cavy Slave
Hi all..

Just need an opinion. As we all know weather here is always humid and sometimes quite hot. I can see that a trend here in Malaysia that most of them use wired cage with tray at the bottom and line it with the bathroom mat. Which one is better?

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
This is kinda off topic but how would a try be large enough for 2+ pigs? Also, would the bathroom mat be the bedding or just the base for the cage?

TobbyChan

Cavy Slave
This is kinda off topic but how would a try be large enough for 2+ pigs? Also, would the bathroom mat be the bedding or just the base for the cage?

something like this. It is actually a wired cage with tray at the bottom so all the pee and poo goes down there. I use fleece though =D
270401_364731340280197_287805620_n.jpg

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not very sure about the bedding (you should post this question in the bedding section) but I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for 2+ guinea pigs. What is the cage's dimensions?

TobbyChan

Cavy Slave
I'm not very sure about the bedding (you should post this question in the bedding section) but I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for 2+ guinea pigs. What is the cage's dimensions?

Not to sure on the cage dimension. It just a trend here to use this type of cage. When you actually asked them to use fleece, the reasons behind always saying that fleece is too hot for Malaysia weather. I use fleece and line it with mattress pad.

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
I live in Australia and it also gets pretty hot too but i still think fleece is fine to use. If you search for tips on cooling pigs on the forum, there will be tonnes of threads on it. You could change to regular bedding but as long as the pigs are inside with a fan, icepacks or tiles, they should be fine.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wire floors are not recommended at all. Guinea pigs can get medical condition called Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot). It's very painful for them.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

The mat in the picture has very wide gaps, the pig could break a leg or toes if they get caught in the gap.

Good for you for using fleece. If your friends are keeping their pigs on wire floors, please encourage them to switch to different bedding.

If your cage is the same size as the picture, it's too small. See this link for recommended sizes.
(broken link removed)

TobbyChan

Cavy Slave
Wire floors are not recommended at all. Guinea pigs can get medical condition called Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot). It's very painful for them.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

The mat in the picture has very wide gaps, the pig could break a leg or toes if they get caught in the gap.

Good for you for using fleece. If your friends are keeping their pigs on wire floors, please encourage them to switch to different bedding.

If your cage is the same size as the picture, it's too small. See this link for recommended sizes.
(broken link removed)

I did encourage them before but its very hard when everywhere here they use wired cage. My cage is 4 feet x 2 feet :)
My pigs have a lot of rooms to run along :)

fyfyn

Cavy Slave
I used wired cage lined with bathroom mat when I first had my piggies but now I had changed to fleece. It is much better and my piggies are happier. I provided them a small electrical fan to make sure that they can stay cool even when the weather is hot :)

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
when considering the things in your cage it makes the running room smaller. Now if you had two of the cages together may be alittle better

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.