Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fleece / wired cage?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave TobbyChan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 09, 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Fleece / wired cage?

    Hi all..

    Just need an opinion. As we all know weather here is always humid and sometimes quite hot. I can see that a trend here in Malaysia that most of them use wired cage with tray at the bottom and line it with the bathroom mat. Which one is better?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    This is kinda off topic but how would a try be large enough for 2+ pigs? Also, would the bathroom mat be the bedding or just the base for the cage?

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave TobbyChan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 09, 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jubespiggies View Post
    This is kinda off topic but how would a try be large enough for 2+ pigs? Also, would the bathroom mat be the bedding or just the base for the cage?

    something like this. It is actually a wired cage with tray at the bottom so all the pee and poo goes down there. I use fleece though =D
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270401_364731340280197_287805620_n.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	36178

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    I'm not very sure about the bedding (you should post this question in the bedding section) but I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for 2+ guinea pigs. What is the cage's dimensions?

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave TobbyChan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 09, 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    Quote Originally Posted by jubespiggies View Post
    I'm not very sure about the bedding (you should post this question in the bedding section) but I'm pretty sure the cage is too small for 2+ guinea pigs. What is the cage's dimensions?
    Not to sure on the cage dimension. It just a trend here to use this type of cage. When you actually asked them to use fleece, the reasons behind always saying that fleece is too hot for Malaysia weather. I use fleece and line it with mattress pad.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    I live in Australia and it also gets pretty hot too but i still think fleece is fine to use. If you search for tips on cooling pigs on the forum, there will be tonnes of threads on it. You could change to regular bedding but as long as the pigs are inside with a fan, icepacks or tiles, they should be fine.

  7. #7
    Administrator lissie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 25, 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    9,334
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanks
    2,337 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    Wire floors are not recommended at all. Guinea pigs can get medical condition called Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot). It's very painful for them.
    http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

    The mat in the picture has very wide gaps, the pig could break a leg or toes if they get caught in the gap.

    Good for you for using fleece. If your friends are keeping their pigs on wire floors, please encourage them to switch to different bedding.

    If your cage is the same size as the picture, it's too small. See this link for recommended sizes.
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/indexmetric.htm

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave TobbyChan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 09, 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post
    Wire floors are not recommended at all. Guinea pigs can get medical condition called Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot). It's very painful for them.
    http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

    The mat in the picture has very wide gaps, the pig could break a leg or toes if they get caught in the gap.

    Good for you for using fleece. If your friends are keeping their pigs on wire floors, please encourage them to switch to different bedding.

    If your cage is the same size as the picture, it's too small. See this link for recommended sizes.
    Your Guinea Pig's Home (metric)
    I did encourage them before but its very hard when everywhere here they use wired cage. My cage is 4 feet x 2 feet
    My pigs have a lot of rooms to run along

  9. "Thank you, TobbyChan, for this useful post," says:


  10. #9
    Cavy Slave fyfyn's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 18, 2012
    Location
    Kedah, Malaysia
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    I used wired cage lined with bathroom mat when I first had my piggies but now I had changed to fleece. It is much better and my piggies are happier. I provided them a small electrical fan to make sure that they can stay cool even when the weather is hot

  11. #10
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner boofp's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    1,571
    Thanks
    114
    Thanks
    267 Rec'd/179 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece / wired cage?

    when considering the things in your cage it makes the running room smaller. Now if you had two of the cages together may be alittle better

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •