Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hello!

  1. #1
    Cavy Caged Piggycraze's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 24, 2011
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Question Hello!

    Um im not vegetarian, but i was considering becoming one, until i watched Dr.Oz and he said that not eating meat isn't healthy? I was just wondering if i became a vegetarian, how would i makeup for all the stuff in meats? Since meat is one of the major food groups, how could i get all the good things from the meat in vegetables etc? Also what are the pros and cons of being a vegetarian? Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator suzilovespiggie's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 07, 2005
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks
    254
    Thanks
    353 Rec'd/255 Posts

    Re: Hello!

    Dr Oz is wrong. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based diet. You have to learn how to balance it and put it altogher. There are so many meat substitutes at the stores, many use soy. I use Crumbles alot for tacos, spagettit, anything that requires ground meat. I also use the fake chicken and chicken patties alot.
    There is oodles upon oodles of info and recipies on various websites. Just type in vegetrarian diet in google. Peta has a whole section devoted to going vegetarian and vegan. They will even send you a kit to help you get started.

    The meat industry is beyond cruel. Peta has a video called "Meet your Meat" on its website. about the farming of animals for slaughter. I myself cannot even watch it. Going meatless saves the lives of animals. It hopefully in time will stop the horrific cruelty. Saves water, as it takes alot of water to produce meat. Saves land.
    It is better for your health. It comes down to personal choice. Do some research and then decide for yourself. Good Luck.

  3. "Thank you, suzilovespiggie, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Thanks
    807
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Items for Sale

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by suzilovespiggie View Post
    Dr Oz is wrong. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based diet. You have to learn how to balance it and put it altogher. There are so many meat substitutes at the stores, many use soy. I use Crumbles alot for tacos, spagettit, anything that requires ground meat. I also use the fake chicken and chicken patties alot.
    There is oodles upon oodles of info and recipies on various websites. Just type in vegetrarian diet in google. Peta has a whole section devoted to going vegetarian and vegan. They will even send you a kit to help you get started.

    The meat industry is beyond cruel. Peta has a video called "Meet your Meat" on its website. about the farming of animals for slaughter. I myself cannot even watch it. Going meatless saves the lives of animals. It hopefully in time will stop the horrific cruelty. Saves water, as it takes alot of water to produce meat. Saves land.
    It is better for your health. It comes down to personal choice. Do some research and then decide for yourself. Good Luck.
    How does it save land?
    Plants use up land as much as animals do. And animals will always be here, so the land will always remain used. I find the comment very confusing.

  5. #4
    Cavy Slave jamiek's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 30, 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

    Re: Hello!

    "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." ~ Paul McCartney

    Vegetarians include dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese, etc) and eggs in their diet. These are excellent sources of the best protein is there.
    Vegans as opposed to vegetarians rely solely on plant based diet. Even there, one can obtain a proper balance of proteins by learning how to combine ingredients.

  6. #5
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Thanks
    807
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Items for Sale

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiek View Post
    "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." ~ Paul McCartney

    Vegetarians include dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese, etc) and eggs in their diet. These are excellent sources of the best protein is there.
    Vegans as opposed to vegetarians rely solely on plant based diet. Even there, one can obtain a proper balance of proteins by learning how to combine ingredients.
    I've never met a Vegetarian that included egg in there diet. As egg is a baby chicken, all vegetarians I've met have chosen to not eat an unborn baby chicken.

  7. #6
    Cavy Slave Kritastrophe's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 16, 2012
    Location
    DC area/Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks
    98
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hello!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWhistles View Post
    I've never met a Vegetarian that included egg in there diet. As egg is a baby chicken, all vegetarians I've met have chosen to not eat an unborn baby chicken.
    A common misconception which I learned about in my Intro to Animal Science in college. The eggs you buy at the store are actually UNFERTILIZED eggs, or should be as most chicken farms, have females in single pens. Chickens, ducks, etc will still lay eggs if no male is present. Although the conditions some of the chickens are in are horrid. There was actually a study being done while I was in college with purposely blind chickens in small pens who actually had a higher output of eggs being laid. But not to get off subject, you can't be eating an "unborn chicken" if it's an unfertilized egg as it would never hatch since there is only half the chromosomes needed.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •