Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi there! I'm new here but have a question on Baytril?

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
I all. I have two piglets - Daisy Mae (a 1 1/2 year old Abyssinian Female) and Patches (a1 year old Abyssinian Female). They both live together in a nice large C&C in our living room - right in the middle of all our activity.

Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I noticed Dais wasn't breathing quite right. I took them both, immediately, to the vet. She said Daisy had a URI that had gotten into her lungs and Patches had "the sniffles". They were given an antibiotic that didn't really work. Within a few days Daisy was breathing harder, so they gave her Baytril. That seemed to knock it out of her. Then Patches started to sneeze more. She finally was put on Baytril as well. After a week and a half I had to get another 7 day supply (that was yesterday). They are doing well but I'm just not pleased with how they are 100%. They both sniffle a bit and sneeze a tiny bit.

My question is this - tomorrow I have a family meeting that is VERY urgent, right after work. I am told to expect it to run about 2-3 hours. I give the piglets their meds every 12 hours - 5 am, 5 pm.

SO if I move them to about 6 am tomorrow (which I can still manage before work) and don't get home until around 8 pm that night, will that hurt them?? It isn't something I will continue to do, tomorrow would be the exception since they have been on the meds for the past two weeks.

I just don't want to mess anything up for them and send them spiraling.

Thank you so much, in advance, for any help you can give me!

Blessings to you and yours,
Chelle

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
So long as they are getting their correct daily dosage, every 24 hours, I don't think it will matter if you move it a few hours. When mine were on antibiotics I would try to give them it all in the morning but if they were 'struggling', I'd give them half in the morning and half at night. Depended on how much they were protesting.

As for the sniffles - have you considered allergies? I had EXACTLY what you described with Noah and he was on meds for about 2 weeks, with only a slight improvement. Turned out he was allergic to hay dust and/or washing powder (tested for both problems at the same time, haven't determined which). So now I wash their fleece with vinegar and they have a loft for food/hay, which has a lino floor so I can sweep hay up quickly and efficiently. No problems now! Best of luck with their health problems.

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
I do use fleece as well but have not tried to wash it in vinegar though. I do use a clean and clear detergent- no scent, color or bad ingredients.

I did notice that Daisy has issues with the hay, I have to be careful that it's a good brand and not dusty and small pieces. I also can no longer wear my perfume when I'm going to hold her and I can't use powder either.

How were they checked for allergies?

I think they both had a bit of a URI though since they both go sick and Patches doesn't seem to have allergies. I can spray my perfume and hold her directly and she's fine.

But NOW it may be an allergy issue. I'm just afraid to "assume" they aren't sick and have them get worse. Especially since the vet was concerned because she heard it in Daisy's lungs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.