Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Not Sure If This Cage Is All Right

Whisperer

Cavy Slave
I feel degraded and frustrated. T_T

I've 'destroyed' almost all of the walls of Kakashi's maze and improvised a 'cage' out of it. This is the result. Hope you are happy. x_x

002S051se--.jpg

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
I think you've done a good job in creating more space for Kakashi and I'm sure he'll be a happier pig for it!

I'm sorry to hear you're now feeling degraded! I know from your posts that you are trying to do the best you can for your pig and I think it's great that you've listened to advice given and acted upon it in trying to give Kakashi a better life. I personally think that given time you will become a good guinea pig owner! It's clear that you care about your pig and I think it's a shame that some members on this forum aren't willing to give you the time to prove yourself, especially the members who themselves when first joining this site said that they needed time to save up money to buy supplies and would have been offended and horrified to have been told to re-home their pig!

Whisperer

Cavy Slave
Thank you, @traceyennis. :)

Anyway, I've removed the litter trays so that Kakashi can walk more freely. lol Now my problem is bedding. I still have to find towels.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
I love the chessboard ramp! That's really creative, haha. How does your piggy go over it though? I thought those were a bit on the slippery side (unless it's one of those cloth ones).

I found a page with information about veggies in the Philippines (broken link removed). She gives the native names of veggies, available guinea pig food and hay in your country.

Also, it seems that the base of your ex-maze is made of wood - it might get really smelly if Kakashi poops/pees on wood so I'd cover that up with a plastic tarp or sheet. A plastic tablecloth would be cheap and effective. Mainly the cage needs to be easy to clean as guinea pigs are messy little creatures. Wood is a lot of work to clean!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Thank you, @traceyennis . :)

Anyway, I've removed the litter trays so that Kakashi can walk more freely. lol Now my problem is bedding. I still have to find towels.
I have not read all the posts so sorry if I touch on something you already covered. Do you have second hand stores in the Philippines? We call them thrift stores here in the USA. if you do have them there you can usually get towels for pretty cheap at such a store.

I can see you do want to do what's best for your pig, I hope you can convince you Mom to help you take the best care possible of your furry family member. Please do not feel degraded.

As Cavylier suggested, try to get a plastic cover for the cage, and then use whatever bedding you can find (shavings, news paper etc..) until you find one suitable for permanent use. I find that it is not necessarily the type of bedding used that makes or breaks a cage, it is the frequency of cleaning that really matters!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That's a great idea! Nobody talked about thrift stores yet.

I agree, if that's wood, you MUST cover it. It will be so disgusting after a few days.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure why you feel degraded, you've done a great job making a bigger, safer cage for your pig. I think at the end of the day having a good cage where they will spend most of their time is more important than a maze so don't feel frustrated because of it :)

I agree with the ideas about covering the cage, I know from experience with previous pets that wood can get smelly because of wee very very quickly so this will benefit you :) A plastic covering will stop the wood absorbing anything then you can cover that with absorbent bedding. You could use a shower curtain as well as other suggestions :)

Well done on the improvements you are making the Kakashi's lifestyle - I know it can be frustrating and seem a little difficult because there's so much to learn, but it's rewarding in the end when you have a happy pig!

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
You're cage is very creative :p Good job using the things you had to make a cage :D

Covering it would be great though :p Because wood will get smelly, and you dont want that. I know that when I needed a plastic covering, I went to my local dollar store and got a really cheap shower curtain liner for a dollar or two.

And then if you have any old towels or blankets, you can put that on top of the plastic. And BAM! you're set for a cage :p You should check second hand shops/thrift stores if you dont have any towels or anything laying around.

You're obviously a creative person and will come up with something :3

Whisperer

Cavy Slave
I agree with the wood thing. lol I cleaned earlier and dang, it stank. XD The chess board was used as a roof for a walled division there. Kakashi tends to stay and litter there. It's really hard to clean because it's so narrow and there was not even a newspaper bedding there. -.-

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Hey your cage is to small and yes I feel like they are being a little harsh but it is true I am twleve and I think you could maybe try to raise money for the stuff you need!:)

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
How long has he been in that cage?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave

Piggycraze

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I think your doing a super job, i say keep up the good work! I also think that you deserve your pig as much as any of us, dont give up your piggie, just keep trying little by little to give him a good sized cage etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.