Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Exclamation Food Issues

Hi everyone!

I'm having a real big issue with buying pellets. Basically, any pet that isn't a cat or a dog won't have many options here in Iceland. The only guinea pig food they have is the mixed kind with all the colors and unhealthy stuff in it. I found some pellets called Cavia Complete, but the ingredients list didn't sound like it had all the right things.

I've heard everyone talk about Oxbow, but they don't sell here and the only way I could buy it is through ebay. Now, I don't care much about how expensive it is or anything like that, but Iceland is iffy about shipping in any organic materials that aren't grown locally. Foreign hay is a big no-no, so I have to feed them some random hay they sell in the stores here. I have no idea what type it is, so it makes me kind of nervous, but they've got to have something and they seem to love it.

Basically, my question is should I keep feeding them the Gerty mix/Cavia Complete pellets, or should I risk shipping the Oxbow? They may confiscate it, which would majorly suck.

Do you guys have any knowledge on feeding guinea pigs non-alfalfa/timothy hay?

Also, are vitamin C supplements necessary? My vet said to get some drops, but neglected to give me an idea of where to get them and I've never seen anything in the stores, for the same reasons as above. I think small critters are considered just show pets around here, there's a real lack of knowledge and care for them here... I could import them from Oxbow, but I also don't know if that's allowed.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Re: Food Issues

As long as you are giving your guinea pigs a variety of greens each day (about a cup per pig) you really don't need to supplement vitamin C. I only supplement pigs that are sick.

I would not feed the Gerty mix. I also probably would not order the Oxbow. Instead, I would look into feeding a pelletless diet. You can do a search here and also at www.guinealynx.info to find out how people go about it.

As for the hay, as long as it isn't alfalfa and your pigs are eating it, it's probably fine. There are many different types of grass hays that are suitable. Is it green and fresh?

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: Food Issues

you can crush up plain un flavored tablets instead of drops. that is what i did when i first got my boys. the vet said to do it as a precaution and gave me some to send me home with. i still have some as she gave me more then i needed. i have no idea what brand or anything they are but she said just over the counter plain vit c with no additives or other vit in them would work

User Tag List