Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece It isn't wicking!

Eccles

Cavy Slave
I bought myself a piggy bedspread because right now I don't have the time/energy to make my own fleece liners. I washed and dried it three times when it arrived. But it isn't wicking! The pee is sitting on top! Yikes!

Any ideas for help?

lissie

Cavy Slave
What did you use in the wash? If there's fabric softener, it will prevent fleece to wick. You can try washing with detergent (no fabric softener) and vinegar.

Eccles

Cavy Slave
No fabric softener. We don't use it at all, kids skin is too sensitive! I washed with a little free and clear detergent the first time and then no detergent after that.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You could try to wash with vinegar. I thought piggybedspread comes ready to use, I guess not!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is the fleece thick? Maybe that adds to it's water barrier?

I've never heard of this piggybedspread *begins to google*

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
I would also try washing with vinegar added. It helps to strip the water-resistant coating off the fleece.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
It's the free and clear detergent. Try washing it without it, and use vinegar to strip the residue off it.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
The free and clear detergent shouldn't be an issue. There are no fabric softeners in it. The free and clear should be better than the kinds with dyes and scents for wicking and piggy health. I use free and clear without any issues.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Free and clear detergents are notoriously bad for using with cloth diapers. Cloth Diaper Care Here's another link that explains why some people have problems and others don't: Detergents for Cloth Diapers

(And yes, I know, this isn't cloth diapers, but the mechanism - fleece, absorbing, and wicking -- is the same).

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Free and clear detergents are notoriously bad for using with cloth diapers. Cloth Diaper Care Here's another link that explains why some people have problems and others don't: Detergents for Cloth Diapers

(And yes, I know, this isn't cloth diapers, but the mechanism - fleece, absorbing, and wicking -- is the same).

So I guess I better trade in my All Free n Clear for an All that isn't Free n Clear.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave

Interesting... I hadn't heard about that before.

leopardjunkie

Cavy Slave
you can also try using hotter water. ideally cranking up the water heater for a few loads would be great...but if you have littles or a husband who will get in the shower in the am with out testing the water first...this is not allways an option. you can also heat up a stock pot of boiling water and dump it in the wash for top load. It will aide in striping. I turn ours up in the afternoon after the boys have their bath, as my hubs does not take showers in the pm...then turn it back down after I wash so it has all night to adjust again.

Eccles

Cavy Slave
I used Free and Clear on all our diapers, its the only detergent we CAN use or the kids break out in rashes!
But I realized I hadn't used HOT water on it, so I washed two more times, w/HOT and w/Vinegar, and it is working much better now!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
you can also try using hotter water. ideally cranking up the water heater for a few loads would be great...but if you have littles or a husband who will get in the shower in the am with out testing the water first...this is not allways an option. you can also heat up a stock pot of boiling water and dump it in the wash for top load. It will aide in striping. I turn ours up in the afternoon after the boys have their bath, as my hubs does not take showers in the pm...then turn it back down after I wash so it has all night to adjust again.

Cold or cool water doesn't keep the shower water temp the same. I've personally tested this myself to give my husband payback for flushing the toilet while I was showering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.