Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior HELP baby boy guinea pig trying to hump!!!

missmachete

Cavy Slave
My Peaches had babies on the 18th of last month. One is a female the other a male. Tonight I just noticed the boy was trying to mount himself on top of Peaches. He is only 2 weeks and 2 days old and I know he isn't suppose to be separated just yet. When I take him away from Peaches he wheeks the entire time. I don't know what to do!!!! Help!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
It's just normal dominance behaviour, or practice.
Just separate at the three week mark, though he will still call for the others. It's tough I know.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Let him alone until he's 21 days old. Then he needs to be separated from any females, regardless of whether he wheeks or not. And he will. He'll miss his mommy, but he can't be with her. Do you plan to rehome him? Or get him a buddy?

missmachete

Cavy Slave
I took him out after I made the post and it was so sad to just hear him wheek on and on. I put him back in there because I know he is still nursing from her. Luckily, I noticed when he tries to get on her she will either run or knock him off so that is a plus. He isn't trying to bother his sister just mom. I do have someone who is going to be taking him once he is weaned from mom. I hate having to do it but I have no other choice. :ashamed:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.