Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/8 Posts

appropriate cage size?

Hi everyone! I have 3 cavies. Thelma and Louise are a bonded pair I adopted from a family member. Fiona I rescued about 4-5 months ago. I am upgrading their cage size now that Fiona is getting bigger. Right now they are in a cage that is a bit small but I piggie proofed a spare room so they have free range during the day (while my husband is home) and at night they go in their cage. He wasn't so keen on the look of a c&c cage, more so because I wanted to put it in our living room. So being the handy man that he is he decided to build an alternative cage. I've been watching like a hawk to ensure that everything is size appropriate as well as safe for my girls. My dilemma is that I want to adopt another piggie. My girls get along great but sometimes Fiona gets "left out" from Thelma and Louise since they are a bonded pair (hopefully that made sense ) The cage dimensions are a little off but I think is close to the appropriate size for 4. It is 66 x 42 and 2 levels. Is that sufficient space for 4 piggies? I haven't transferred my girls to it yet because it's not quite finished but I figured if I am going to adopt now would be the perfect time. The cage will be finished around the same time as the quarantine period, and there shouldn't be any territorial issues because I got all new cage accessories and am making new cozies. Sorry for rambling my main concern is whether or not the cage I have is big enough for 4

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: appropriate cage size?

66 x 42 as in inches or cm? Is the dimension for each floor? Levels don't usually count towards square footage as guinea pigs need space to run laps.

If each level is 66 x 42 inches, it's 19.25 sq.ft. You have more than enough space for 4 pigs.
    If it's in cm, then no, it's too small.

3. "Thank you, lissie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post
    66 x 42 as in inches or cm? Is the dimension for each floor? Levels don't usually count towards square footage as guinea pigs need space to run laps.

If each level is 66 x 42 inches, it's 19.25 sq.ft. You have more than enough space for 4 pigs.
    If it's in cm, then no, it's too small.
    It's inches. The top is 58 x 26 with a ramp that goes from the top level to the bottom. Its somewhat of a diamond shape, like a base in baseball.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

That sounds like a great cage for your piggies! I would really love to see pictures of it when it's completed!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by galya137 View Post
    That sounds like a great cage for your piggies! I would really love to see pictures of it when it's completed!
    Thanks! I can't wait for it to be finished.

User Tag List