Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Help me! I just got a new pig and introduced her to my bonded pair NEED ADVICE!

briannarose

Cavy Slave
Hi! Okay so I've looked all over and haven't had any luck finding what I need.
So I have Two Females (skunkuh & peaches) who have been together since they were babies there going on two soon.
I decided to adopt another female guinea pig (Marlee) (who is almost 3) on Thursday.
It took me two times to introduce them.
The first time didn't go so well, I put them all in a neutral area with some carrots and hay.
It started off okay , My dominant one didn't seem to mind the new piggie, she sniffed her a few times and just minds her own.
As for peaches, she kept chasing her and nipping her, I broke it up and there would be some fur from Marlee in peaches mouth.
So I put them back in there clean original cages and separated them for the night.
I read putting them all in the bath together then trying again in a neutral area.
It went fine, there was some on going teeth chattering between Peaches and Marlee, but they worked threw it, I let them do there thing for a couple of hours and decided to try them together in the cage, ( I have two c&c cages connected with a ramp to get from one to another.) And at first it was okay, until Peaches decided to come near Marlee or Marlee would wander around near Peaches.
& then again some serious teeth chattering and peaches would then chase Marlee around & try nipping her.
Mean while (skunkuh) is just hanging around eating some food minding her own.
Is there anyway I can get this to stop? Marlee seems upset and really has just stayed in her hidey.
She tried exploring my guinea pigs original cage, ( Which has been completely de-scented) and peaches just chases her out.
Now, it seemed to be okay for a little while because there were all hanging in the same cage area and there were no problems.
Then once again teeth chattering and chasing & attempting to nip.
I don't want it to become serious, I just want them to get along.

What can I do?!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
As long is there is no blood drawn or food guarding (Which they can't do if you have enough water bottles, food bowls, and hay piles) they are fine a should be left together. Have you looked at this page? Guinea Pigs Social Life

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, just leave them together. Each time you separate them and then put them back together they feel the need to establish dominance all over again.

briannarose

Cavy Slave
No blood, just tuffs of fur. I have two food & water bottle/dishes. & three hay feeders, and three hidey houses along with about four cozys. That was the first paged I looked at, but if didn't give me much on how to stop it. I only separated them once which was after the first introduction, which was the same night I got Marlee, Since earlier last night they have been in the same cage together. As I can tell there's no fur tugging, that I can notice, just alot of rumble-strutting and lots of teeth chattering and peaches will chase her into a hidey which I then took out, & i plan to make a temporary one with tho doors. So there can be no trapping of any sort. Any idea on if this will continue or get better? Or they just don't plain like each-other? Also I highly doubt this has anything to do with it but can different breeds not mesh well? Peaches&Skunkuh are both amercian, and Marlee is a teddy breed. Also I'm not sure how I would spot blood draw because Marlee has a fully black coat. Thanks for you answers & hope to hear soon!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
FYI, the next time you get a new pig, you need to quarantine it for three weeks. That's to protect your old pigs, and to keep you from having to pay to have three pigs treated instead of one if the new one has any contagious diseases or parasites.

briannarose

Cavy Slave
& I would have, but--- I know the person I got my pig from very well, & she's visited the vet last week. and my pigs were last seen about a month or two ago. If i was adopting from a stranger she would've been quarantined.

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
I have just introduced a baby to my four, they got along well, he seemed a little intimidated as the others tried to sniff her bottom none stop! but in time she got more and more cheeky and doesn't hide in a corner now. it will get better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.