Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Dried veggies and fruits as treats

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I bought Oxbow guinea pig treats and noticed that it has dried veggies and herbs in it (rosemary, cranberry, thyme). I thought about using these (dried herbs) to add some variety in their pellets. Of course it's done in moderation and as long as it doesn't have added ingredients to it. I haven't tried it yet but they did love the oxbow treats.

Anyone here see it as a good, or bad idea? :D

Example: Spices for Health | Rosemary | McCormick®

I know fresh is the best way to go for treats, but I also would want to leave a little something for piggies that won't spoil instantly.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
If I recall there was a discussion about this a while back; the verdict was a no because drying the herbs and fruit changes the nutrients. Maybe try to keep a variety of hay on hand and give them different ones as a treat?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Hmm, I don't see any benefit to adding that into the pellets. I know most herbs are also high in calcium. I don't even know if you can feed rosemary :p

You could give it to them every now and then, but if theres preservatives and things in it, why bother? If you haven't opened it maybe see if you can return it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.