Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Best room for cage? Add another piggie?

llonka

Cavy Slave
Where does everyone keep their piggies? I would really like to move mine into the living room but hubby throws a fit. Right now they are in the laundry/sunroom. They don't get much attention back there and I feel horrible about it. Our living room is big enough to even expand the cage if i wanted to. Finding the space is not the problem, it's convincing hubby that the cage would stay cleaner and they wouldn't bother guests. His dad and grandma don't like them very much. :(

Also, I was asked by a friend if I wanted another piggie. I guess she had babies and somebody is bring one back. I'd love to have another but hubby said he'd rather not. I have had three piggies before, I don't see what the problem is. Think i'd be ok to get another piggie anyways?:eek:

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
Never get a pet when the whole household isn't on board. If a spouse or a parent or a roommate dislikes your pet, you can be sure they won't help in taking care of it. And since no person can be around 24/7 and we all need a little help from our housemates once in a while...it's best to be sure everyone's on the same page. That way, there's no lingering resentment or hard feelings. You can always try to convince him, but it sounds like he won't be convinced.

Our cage is in our front room, next to the couch, where I sit and watch them go about their guinea pig business. But is there anyway you could compromise with your husband? Move the cage to a more frequently used area that isn't the living room? Kitchen? Bedroom? That way, they'd get more attention (including more cleaning) and they'd also be out of the immediate view of the guests.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Mine are all in my dining room. I am the sole caretaker of them and make sure they aren't messy so no one else will mind having them around. My husband and son will feed them and hold them once in awhile but they're really my pets. My daughter isn't as fond of them.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine are in the kitchen. I feel for you though because my husband is the same way. It sucks Dont it.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Mine are in the living room. I'm the one who takes care of them, though my mom will pet them and give them veggies. She's just not very fond of holding them especially since they're quite small right now.
Perhaps you could get him to agree to it on a trial basis. Just to show him that they wouldn't bother anybody.
Probably hold off on getting another piggy for now until you can get the cage situation resolved.

llonka

Cavy Slave
I am the only one that takes care of them. I guess you guys are right, my husband would be really upset if I brought home another piggie after he told he'd rather I didn't.

Do you all think the hallway would be an ok place, if he doesn't go for the living room idea? We already tried the boys' room and that didn't work out so well. No way hubby would go for our room. He says they are "too noisy". If he would agree to arange our front room like it is supposed to be, living and dining room, we could put them on one side where he wouldn't have to look at them if he didn't want to. I just feel bad because they get the attention like they should and they would if they were in here with us.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I'd think the hallway was better than the laundry room, but is the hallway large? If it's a more narrow hall I'd be concerned about the cage being bumped into and scaring the piggies.

ladydreamer04

Cavy Slave
I too am the sole caretaker for my cavies also. My son likes them but doesn't really bother with them. My husband interacts with them but I do everything else. They've been in my son's room but I need to expand their cage and would like to move them to the living room where they would get more attention and get used to more sounds. My husband doesn't like the look of the c&c cages, especially in the living room so he decided to build a cage out of wood. That way he can design it in a way where it will blend in with the furniture. Maybe you can look into other alternative cages that might be more pleasing to the eye and maybe then hubby won't mind so much.

TracyHaden

Cavy Slave
My girls stay in my craft room as that is were I'm at most of the time when I'm home. I'm the main care taker but my hubby will hold them, feed them and pet them when he comes in to use my computer. Thankfully, He doesn't mind floor time in the living room. Maybe doing that for an hour a day will convince your hubby to let them move into the living room?

llonka

Cavy Slave
We have a corner in the hallway that would be perfect for the cage. I would rather the come into the living room. I'll just have to talk to him about again when he is in a good mood...

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Without really knowing the true feelings of your husband, I can't really offer much advice but I can tell you what worked for me :)

Mine was not really happy about putting ours in the living room, but we have a smaller house with a huge living/family room, kitchen/dining area and 3 bedrooms and bathrooms so there wasn't much of an option to put them anywhere else. I was okay with just building the cage as a 2x4/5 (at the time) and putting it against the wall in the living room so they were with us but out of the way more. When I mentioned that, for SOME reason he was dead set against it and wanted to put them in our built in entertainment center. I have no idea where the logic came for THAT but that's men for you ;) Anyway, long story short I made sure to involve him with the building and "double checking" to make sure that he was okay with how it was going and he was fine with it.

2012-09-11 22.10.11.jpgThis is what our cage ended up being, I've adjusted it some afterwards but it's still that size and it was HIS idea so it made him happy. MUCH bigger then I had planned and definitely NOT in the middle of everything but I do love it so I can't complain.

Maybe, try talking to him to see if there are places he IS willing to build it in the living room? I'd also go through the gallery and show him some of the nicer looking cages as well like the ones with the awesome liners and clean, professional looking cages.

He may just have a different idea in his head of what he wants and isn't offering up those suggestions.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I have my pigs in my bedroom. I'm the main caretaker of my pigs, but occasionally my mom or dad will feed them. Dad was originally so against having guinea pigs, but now he adores them. I don't have a husband to answer too so I can't be of much help, but try and compromise some how.

llonka

Cavy Slave
wow (broken link removed), that is a huge cage! your piggies are so lucky!

I'll just try to talk to him about it tonight. *nods*

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
My pigs are in the living room. My FH didn't want me to build a big cage with a loft but let me do it anyway (it's technically his apartment) and he is now glad he let me. He even said the other day that the pigs seem much happier and squeak more :)
We are in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment so we have them in a corner but it works for us. We also have a storage cabinet thing that he has had for years that we keep the animals' stuff in to save space. Everything but the dog food is in there lol

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
We keep the girls in our living room/dining room area, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I should also addthat I am the primary caregiver unless we go out of town. Then his brother feeds/waters/veggies them for us lol

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Ours are in our living room. I don't know that there was ever a question as to where they would go. They are our pets, and we want to have them where we can interact with and enjoy them.

I second the motion of letting him look through the cages. My husband and I have got some great ideas for when we can get our c&c cage set up. There's one someone has set up in a corner of their dining room that just looks *so nice*. There's another with a skywalk. If your husband is a "build-y" type, he might find it a challenge even to make a really nice cage that would add to the overall look of your home.

galya137

Cavy Slave
My pigs are in my bedroom. I used to have them in a separate room but someone has moved into it and claimed it. I would love them in the living room but nobody else wants them there. I love them in my room but racals dont let me sleep at tines, and hubby complains when he is grumpy. So i wouldnt recommend them in your bedroom seeing the your husband is similar to mine in attitude. :)

llonka

Cavy Slave
I think when we move the furniture around, i'll move my piggies in the "dining room" part of our living room. *nods*

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are in the living room. I am the primary caretaker but am really lucky that my room mate likes them and is totally fine with their cage in the living room.

Good luck with everything in talking to your husband!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.