Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Moving to Mexico

martika

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here and in turmoil :(
I have two beautiful guinea pigs who are female, 2 years old. I love them, they are my pets and would not part with them for the world but I am forced
to move to Mexico before Christmas this year. I have looked and looked all over the net, called airlines, tried the Mexican consulate to no avail. I have no idea if I am allowed to bring them into Mexico from Canada. Westjet will fly them but dont know if I can legally bring them in. I dont want to be stopped in Puerto Vallarta and have them quarantined, taken off me or sent home.
Has anyone had any experience taking their beloved cavies into Mexico ? Im so, so worried. I would even drive them over if I had to but dont know I can even do that. I have tried the Mexican embassy but no one ever gets back to me.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Liz

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I can't really help with Mexico but I did notice last time I was at the vet that they had some posters about local quarantine rules and treatments that had to be given etc. maybe you could try either a local vet or possibly one in Mexico to see if they either know the rules or can point you in the right direction. I would just harass any one you would think might know with bundles of emails until you get an answer. Hope you get to keep them, and good luck with the move.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I'm not sure who you would would talk to in Canada. I know in America when animals were going to Mexico it meant a lot of time talking to the USDA. A vet would have a better idea. Try to call your vet and try to call the Canadian version of the US Department of Agricultural and talk to your local agent. I use to work for a vet in Austin, Texas and I remember when filling out paper work for horses and dogs to visit Mexico (always by driving) the animals had to enter the country by a certain way point between countries. No going around. If the paper work was filed incorrectly the people and animals got sent away. Generally it wasn't a big process to get horses and dogs ready for the trip. A certificate of health and UTD vaccinations but there are a lot of people moving between Mexico and America. No one ever brought a guinea pig between countries through the vet I worked for so I do not know if it is possible or not.

A quick internet search suggests calling the Mexican consulate in your country. Now that I think of it this may have been something I did as well when filling out paper work and finding entry points for horses. I know it sounds bad I can't remember too clearly but it was 6 years ago. =D

I also found this but I don't speak Spanish so I don't know if the link in this Yahoo answers is useful information. Moving to Mexico with pets? - Yahoo! Answers

martika

Cavy Slave
I actually havent tried the vets and will do that tomorrow. Thanks for your advice :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.