Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!!!!! parents wont let me have a C&C cage!!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Angry HELP!!!!!!!! parents wont let me have a C&C cage!!!

I have asked my mom a couple times and have told her why C&C cages are good for guinea pigs and she just says "their fine in the cages they have" but i have two guinea pigs in two different cages they are friendly to each other and the youngest chews on his bars all the time trying to get to the other. They both live in tiny cages and the cages cost $80 each & the older one is fat and is getting poop stuck in his butt (forgot the name) and she wont let me put fleece in their cages no mater what i say about it PLEASE HELP. in desperate need for better cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,345 Rec'd/5,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    2052 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3944 Post(s)

Re: HELP!!!!!!!! parents wont let me have a C&C cage!!!

Will she let you buy a box of grids from Walmart? They're about $19. You can use the grids to connect the two cages. Put a plastic tablecloth or shower curtain underneath, cover it with old towels, and one piece of fleece. You can buy fleece blankets at Walmart for less than $5. Use one cage for the kitchen -- that will contain most of the hay and mess. For less than $25, you've got way more space for your pigs. You should be able to earn enough money to pay the $25 for the supplies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

Tell your mom that having a big cage will reduce in vet bills. Getting poop stuck is called impaction. Are you cleaning him out?
    http://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/41 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Sell at least one of the cages you have and use the money to buy your grids, at the same time your doing that contact a local politician and ask for free coroplast signs from their campaign to use, that is what I did.
    You should easily be able to sell a $80 cages for half that, enough for a box of grids and extra $. Buy your grids at Kmart they are cheaper, the right size(9x9 squares 14" wide) and you get more grids per box. The Kmart brand is called "Stor".

5. "Thank you, Digital_Dad, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Why do you have guinea pigs if you cant properly take care of them..?
    Um, clean the poop more often then?
    Do you clean him out?
    I dont really see what you want us to do, tbh.
    Have you showed her any information of this website?
    That may help.
    Please, before getting any other pets, do your research.
    If you cant provide with what they need, then dont get them.

7. "Thank you, katherine766, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@lissie I am cleaning him out like once a week but every time i get like a pingpong sized ball, i keep telling my mom to let me take him to the vet to see if there is anything the vet can do but she says he is fine and if he is suffering he will die like she let my other guinea pig Darwin do and i begged her to take him to the vet to.

@katherine766 I do take very good care of both of my guinea pigs I have had guinea pigs in my life for like 3 years now. like i said with lissie i clean him out weekly and i have showed her this website but then she refused to look at anymore websites.

she says that guinea pigs dont have to live together to thrive they are right next to each other in seperate cages. And I only have two cages because Bubba the older pig had his cage and was alone for a little while, and then i adopted Darwin (R.I.P.) who was probably 4 or 5 when i got him and he came with his cage so they were living together. when darwin died i was very sad and a few months later i decided to get another guinea pig i tried to convince her then to let me build a C&C cage but she said no i have asked her like every 3 months since but she always says no.

I LOVE MY PETS AND TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF THEM!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    180 Rec'd/148 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

I know you are very young and some of it is not your fault, but since your Mother will not help you provide proper care for your pets, perhaps you should not get anymore until you are able to pay for the care yourself. Not providing vet care is 100% irresponsible of ANY pet owner and knowing your Mom will not take him to the vet IS NOT TAKING GOOD CARE of him or any of your pigs. If anything was to happen (upper respiratory infection) that required medical attention they could/would die with out treatment and that is not fair to them or to you.

Please do not get anymore pets until you can afford their care yourself because apparently your Mom will not help take care of them properly and you can not take proper care of them this way.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Try cleaning him out more than once a week. Getting a ping-pong ball size out does not sound good at all. Is there anyway you can build a cage out of something else. I am sure there are other ways besides C&C. I know it is not the best cage, but I have seen people get those big plastic baby pools and use those for a cage. I measured my dogs' plastic pool today and it was about 7sqft and it is just a tiny one. This time of year you could probably find a big one for fairly cheap. Just be sure the sides are tall enough and if you have other pets you could not use this.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

its not that i dont have the money i do i have a real job but i cant drive yet so i cant take him over there myself my parents have to and again i do take care of my animals and i play with them and give them attention and proper care every single day its just that i want my guinea pigs to live together in a C&C cage because i know it will improve bubbas movement when teddy(the younger pig) is with bubba bubba moves around a lot more but when he is not with teddy he just lays in his cage and mopes. Please do not comment anymore on my pet care ways they are all the exact same as yours all i want to know is how to get my guinea pigs together in a C&C cage. one of their cages is 24 inches by 16 inches and that is in the inside of their cage. and they both have thee exact same cages they dont share one of course but that is why i want to build a C&C cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@farmersdaughter thanks for the advice and for not being a complete jerk about me and my pet care skills i have a cat so that might not work but i did recently build an out door guinea pig run out of wood do you think that if i put like a shower curtain down and towels and fleece that that will work

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

oh and i dont keep my guinea pigs outside if were wondering it is just so they dont run away when i am outside with them. and i would bring the enclosure inside or i could build another one similar to it wood is very cheap that might work what do you think.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank you ThePigAlchemist that might work i am going to talk it over again with my parents and see if they will let me. My brother just moved into college so maybe i can take over his room and let my room be for the guinea pigs because where i keep them now has very limited space and that might be another reason they wont let me build the cage.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

okay....you have a job, so you're going to be paying for everything.
    I do not understand what is going on.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

it just has 4 wood frames and there is no wood on the bottom or else they wouldnt be able to get the grass and the frames have a plastic mesh stapled to the frame so they cant get out.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@MrWhistles I DONT UNDERSTAND either i love my pets and hate to see them suffering tomorrow i am going to insist on them letting me take him to the vet i dont want him to die i love him he is so sweet.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Guineapiggies3 View Post
    @MrWhistles I DONT UNDERSTAND either i love my pets and hate to see them suffering tomorrow i am going to insist on them letting me take him to the vet i dont want him to die i love him he is so sweet.
    okay....maybe sit down and ask them why?
    Also show them the information on this site.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Dad View Post
    Sell at least one of the cages you have and use the money to buy your grids, at the same time your doing that contact a local politician and ask for free coroplast signs from their campaign to use, that is what I did.
    You should easily be able to sell a $80 cages for half that, enough for a box of grids and extra $. Buy your grids at Kmart they are cheaper, the right size(9x9 squares 14" wide) and you get more grids per box. The Kmart brand is called "Stor".
    i just bought a pack of grids there for $22 and it had enough to do a 2x4 with a lid and 1 extra. they are the right size too. they are called Stor Floor Standing 6-cube Storage Unit Stor Floor Standing 6-cube Storage Unit from Kmart.com
    and judging by the site they have just went on sale....dang....bought them a day early! .

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ok I'll try tomorrow thanks to everyone who posted keep posting

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guineapiggies3 View Post
    @farmersdaughter thanks for the advice and for not being a complete jerk about me and my pet care skills i have a cat so that might not work but i did recently build an out door guinea pig run out of wood do you think that if i put like a shower curtain down and towels and fleece that that will work
    It would not work with having a cat around. How big is the outdoor run? Maybe, you could get a piece of plywood cut it a bit longer and wider than your run frame, cover that with the shower curtain, then the absorbent layer then the fleece, and then set the run on top of it. Not sure if it would work but it is worth a try.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I know it's hard when other family members don't get it. I'm an adult living with my parents right now, but being an adult doesn't really help. It's still "their house, their rules" which is annoying. Personally, my parents know the importance of a vet, but my mom didn't want me to create a C&C cage for my GuinGuin. I don't know if it works for you, but I try my best to "butter" up my mom when I want something. And if that doesn't work, I personally can ignore everyone in my family for a day or two and then they get worried and agree most of the time. I know how to manipulate them though, so I don't know if that helps. Hopefully you can wear your parents down and they'll give in. Oh, and I wanted to add that a bigger cage = more exercise and I heard that can help impacted males sometimes. I don't know if that's true, but it definitely couldn't hurt. Anyway, good luck, and try not to give up.

User Tag List