Thread: Clear discharge and brown urine.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Clear discharge and brown urine.

My male guinea pig(he is a little over a month old) has got some clear mucus-y discharge coming from his anus. I'm just wondering what this could be?
    Also it looks like his pee is somewhat off brown in color.
    I know most of you are just going to refer me to see a vet but that is not possible. There are about 20 vets in my area and none of them, yes that is right NONE of them see small animals within in a 200 mile radius. Trust me, I've called them all. Some of them several times just to make sure. This place is a joke. Please do not trash me for not being 'responsible enough', that is not why I'm here. I am worried sick about my little one. I just need advice on what I could give him that might could make him better if this is an issue. I'm on my own on this one. I know you all are not experts per say, but you're all I have.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

Re: Clear discharge and brown urine.

Well, starting off by saying that this place is a joke, probably isn't going to garner you many fans. The most anyone here could do is to make guesses about what the problem could be.

It sounds like there is definitely something medically wrong - clear anal discharge and brown urine is not normal. It's likely he will need to be medically seen. Here is a place to look up vets who see guinea pigs and other exotics. You can look up your area and find cavy savvy vets near you. Vets in the Guinea Pig Zone

3. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

I think hetrecide was referring to his/her area as "a joke" for its lack of small animal friendly-vets, and not this forum or site?

5. "Thank you, stray hares, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I was not referring to this forum as a joke. I meant the area I live in is a joke for it's lack of exotic animal veterinarians.
    Yeah, like I said. I know where one is (almost 3 hours away) but that isn't an option like I said above. I'm hoping that someone on here will recognize these signs from previous experiences and they can let me know what the vet did for them, medications ect. A local vet said they could order me the medications if I told him what I needed.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Now heres an idea altho the vet is not in the area you can get to, maybe still call them exsplain what you have going on. they maybe able to tell you over the phone what you can do or what you need. I know when i was growing up my parents had to do that once or twice for are dogs as the tiny town we were living in didnt have a vet at all and they couldnt get to the town over for abit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Actually, brown urine is perfectly normal for very young pups.

Are his poops normal-sized and not mushy? Is he eating and drinking ok? No indications of pain when he's peeing and pooping? Is there any odor to the discharge?

I know more about sows than boars, but I'm wondering if it may not be that his hormones are beginning to kick in, and it's a normal secretion. Maybe someone with more experience with males will see this and join in.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I think the discharge is normal. We have had boars over the years and there have been lots of strange discharges and such that have led to many-a-question for me at the vet. None have been a problem. If his poops are normal and consistent and he is eating, drinking (all that bpatters outlined above) then I feel it's a normal thing. In a male you will also see some white discharge more inside the anus and more sticky, also normal. If the poop is changing or there is excessive smell in the regular poops (ie, the cage suddenly smells like a dirty diaper), then the discharge can be related to infection/gut bacteria being off.

And as he gets older you will want to start becoming familiar with how to check him out regularly since there can also be semen discharge that you may need to remove on occasion.

bpatters - I was not aware brown urine can be normal for young pups - what causes this? and at what age does this change from "normal" to a "concern"?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hey everyone, Update: I ended up taking him to a vet 4 hours away. She said that brown urine is pretty common in young boars. Also, the discharge was clear so she said no infection was detected. Everything was normal. :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    173 Rec'd/158 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cavy_jdas View Post
    bpatters - I was not aware brown urine can be normal for young pups - what causes this? and at what age does this change from "normal" to a "concern"?
    @bpatters I was wondering the same thing....

@hetrecide - I'm glad you were able to get your piggy checked out and everything was okay!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

I have no idea about the color of the urine and when it's no longer a worry.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Now that you have seen that vet...maybe you can call in and speak with the vet tech in the future and they can reccomend course of action to try before making the drive :) some things maybe they can even call into a local vet for pick up!! would that be nice or what. I have found lots of vets/drs will work with you if you have seen them before.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    39 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Can I say something real quick?

It's awesome of you to make a 4 hour drive to see a vet when your pig had only very mild symptoms. I'm really impressed and pleased by your dedication, and I know it was probably a HUGE pain in the ass...but it was also probably a huge relief to know everything's okay.

You did good. You get a carrot.
    <3

User Tag List