Thread: Guinea pig is fine but is randomly drooling?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea pig is fine but is randomly drooling?

I need some help.I have owned 6 guinea pigs but I have never encountered this problem before. My latest guinea pig's mouth is constantly wet and she licks everything. She's drinks lots of water and eats some but doesn't seem to really care that much about food. But she LOVES her water. She drools a lot and sometimes when she drinks she'll take a mouthful of water then just open her mouth and let it run out. Other than this she is quite healthy and normal. She doesn't have diabetes and her teeth are perfect. I know a lot about guinea pigs but this has me stumped. Help please?

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig is fine but is randomly drooling?

This is a clear sign of dental problems. Even if his front teeth look OK, his back teeth are giving him trouble; they could be overgrowing and trapping his tongue, or there could be a spike or a spur that is cutting in to his cheeks and/or tongue. Sometimes the front teeth are over-long or worn at an angle, but not always, so you can't rely on this as an indicator.

The first thing you must do is to make a mash from his dry food pellets and water, and syringe that to him; he should be able to take 0.5 - 1ml for each mouthful. Guinea pigs go into irreversible liver failure after 16 hours without food, so this is important. Try to get him to take 5 - 10ml at each sitting, several times a day.

You must make an appointment to take him to a vet who knows about guinea pigs (usually an exotics vet) so he can have his teeth trimmed. The vet will probably look at his back teeth using an otoscope (usually used for looking into ears, but helps to check behind the cheek pads to look at a guinea pig's back teeth. Make the appointment as soon as you can, but expect to syringe feed him for a little while afterwards to make sure he is getting nourishment.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Ditto @petgal49 . Tooth problems for sure, and they need attention immediately. How do you know her teeth are perfect? There's no way for you to see the molars unless you've got a buccal pad separator or other equipment to look at the back teeth.

Your vet should do a careful examination inside the mouth, and should also take x-rays to make sure the roots aren't elongated. The pain from that will sometimes cause a pig to stop eating.

Do NOT let the vet just trim the incisors. In fact, don't let a vet trim them at all until AFTER they've planed the back teeth (if that's what's needed), and they can see how short the front teeth need to be. Otherwise, you'll wind up with a pig whose teeth are too short to pick up the food, and you'll be handfeeding hay and vegetables for several days until they grow out.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thats why I'm confused and slightly concerned. I had her checked out by a vet and everything and there really is nothing wrong with her. Plus she eats food, she's just not as emamored with it as she is with her water. And she is a very happy guinea pig anyway. She's done this since she was little. And I do know how to check guinea pigs and everything. I've been studying them for almost 11 years. I've just never seen a guinea pig like water as much as she's does. And it's not exactly drooling, I guess. It's more that her mouth is constantly wet and she licks EVERYTHING. None of my other guinea pigs did that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

I'm a little confused, because you said she didn't seem to care anything about food. If she's eating normally, and by that I mean she's picking up her food and chewing it like she usually does, then it may not be teeth. But drooling and not eating are classic signs of problems with the molars.

Is your vet an exotic vet with some experience in pig dentistry? Not even all exotic vets are competent at diagnosing and treating tooth problems, and I certainly wouldn't trust a non-exotic vet with my pigs' teeth.

How old is she? And is she drinking all this water, or is she just playing with the water bottle? Some pigs do that.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'm a little confused, because you said she didn't seem to care anything about food. If she's eating normally, and by that I mean she's picking up her food and chewing it like she usually does, then it may not be teeth. But drooling and not eating are classic signs of problems with the molars.

Is your vet an exotic vet with some experience in pig dentistry? Not even all exotic vets are competent at diagnosing and treating tooth problems, and I certainly wouldn't trust a non-exotic vet with my pigs' teeth.

How old is she? And is she drinking all this water, or is she just playing with the water bottle? Some pigs do that.
    She is eating normally and she definitely gets enough to eat. She just doesn't really care for it. The vet did specialize in exotics (i know, i dont trust just 'dog and cat' vets either) shes about 9 months old. And I know she's drinking all the water because I have to refill it every half a day or so and she goes to the bathroom a lot. I don't think there's anything WRONG with her, I just want to know why she's behaving like this because none of my other guinea pigs did this. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    214 Rec'd/151 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Did she have her teeth xrayed? is your pig losing weight?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes x-ray. No losing weight. Like I said she seems pretty healthy and happy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Then I'd bet on her playing with the water bottle. Keep an eye on her and see if you can catch her.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay thanks :) I was just curious about the behavior. I guess it's more of a behavioral thing than a medical thing.

User Tag List