Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

Re: Reesie is making a weird sound.

So I took her to the vet, just got home. She is fine! The doctor thoroughly examined her, there were no signs of a URI or UTI. The only thing is, she seemed a little bloated, so I will be taking her off the veggies for a few days to see if it is the gas that's causing her pain and discomfort so early in the morning, because I give them veggies every evening as well. They took a stool sample (luckily she pooped a lot while at the vet's!), just to check for parasites. Other than that, the doctor said she is a very healthy little piggie. Which is such a load off my chest! I will still be monitoring her, and if she doesn't stop crying at nights, we will go in for a x-ray.
    He also said it could be a behavioral problem. If the piggies were fighting a lot, it might be her response to the distress. My other pig, Chalupa, is a cranky little booger. Maybe she bothers Reese's a little too much. So like I said, I will still be keeping a close eye on her.

The doctor also showed me how to cut their little nails. Good thing it was on Reese's, because she has dark paws. So when I got home, I cut Chalupa's sharp little nails and am not afraid to do it anymore. Next thing to do - baths! I will give them a little more time to settle in, but that is the next thing on my list.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by galya137 View Post
    So I took her to the vet, just got home. She is fine! The doctor thoroughly examined her, there were no signs of a URI or UTI. The only thing is, she seemed a little bloated, so I will be taking her off the veggies for a few days to see if it is the gas that's causing her pain and discomfort so early in the morning, because I give them veggies every evening as well. They took a stool sample (luckily she pooped a lot while at the vet's!), just to check for parasites. Other than that, the doctor said she is a very healthy little piggie. Which is such a load off my chest! I will still be monitoring her, and if she doesn't stop crying at nights, we will go in for a x-ray.
    He also said it could be a behavioral problem. If the piggies were fighting a lot, it might be her response to the distress. My other pig, Chalupa, is a cranky little booger. Maybe she bothers Reese's a little too much. So like I said, I will still be keeping a close eye on her.

The doctor also showed me how to cut their little nails. Good thing it was on Reese's, because she has dark paws. So when I got home, I cut Chalupa's sharp little nails and am not afraid to do it anymore. Next thing to do - baths! I will give them a little more time to settle in, but that is the next thing on my list.
    I'm so glad it all worked out okay. You might be right that it's that she was a bit gassy or just some squabbling. The good thing is, you'll save money by clipping the nails yourself. When I clip dark nails, I cut tiny bits at a time and look at the remaining edge. The center gets darker as you near the quick. When I see it starting to look like a dark dot in the middle, I stop cutting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    I'm so glad it all worked out okay. You might be right that it's that she was a bit gassy or just some squabbling. The good thing is, you'll save money by clipping the nails yourself. When I clip dark nails, I cut tiny bits at a time and look at the remaining edge. The center gets darker as you near the quick. When I see it starting to look like a dark dot in the middle, I stop cutting.
    Yes, thank you! I feel so much better knowin that she is healthy rather than guessing if she is or isnt. I need to figure out how to prevent little Chalupa from bugging her so much. :)

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4088 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,530 Rec'd/6,016 Posts

How big is the cage they're in?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

Not very big atm, 1x4. Im working on expanding it. I think im going to make it from wood. I have seem some amazing alternative cages on this site, so i think that will work great. Goig to make it size of 2x5, im hinking.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4088 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,530 Rec'd/6,016 Posts

I'd expand it as soon as I could, because that's way below the minimum recommendation for one pig, much less two. It probably has a whole lot to do with how they're getting along.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by galya137 View Post
    Yes, thank you! I feel so much better knowin that she is healthy rather than guessing if she is or isnt. I need to figure out how to prevent little Chalupa from bugging her so much. :)
    I love the name Chalupa. I almost named one of my pairs Chalupa and Taco "Belle"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    I love the name Chalupa. I almost named one of my pairs Chalupa and Taco "Belle"
    Hahah thats so cute! I was going to name her Pieces. To have Reese's Pieces. :)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'd expand it as soon as I could, because that's way below the minimum recommendation for one pig, much less two. It probably has a whole lot to do with how they're getting along.
    You are right and it is most likely preventing Chalupa from being an absolutely happy piggie. It is in the process of being constructed.

User Tag List