Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rest In Peace 34 guineapigs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
If that's her logic, then she should also be leaving her door open, because people shouldn't be robbing her, or not watch her kids because people shouldn't abduct them. She also at one point says that she had seen dogs walking around before, and had her guinea pigs attacked before, so why not either a. take her guinea pigs inside where they would be most happy and healthy, or b. at least close the flipping gate!

AilsaStockwell

Cavy Slave
If a person feels like an opinion is being "forced" on them, all that person has to do is stop reading.

Yes, but then on other feeds I've seen one guy just try to introduce himself and added a photo of his guinea pigs in an outdoors run, I'm not saying you personally, as I'm not sure who it was, but people then started commenting on it saying "you should never keep guinea pigs outdoors" before he'd even stepped through the door... couldn't everyone just be nice and accept that for him it works? Or at least say something less blunt... "aren't you worried about your guinea pigs outdoors?"...? He's left the forum immediately! I joined because all of the other thread are very useful, and people on here do know what they're talking about. On most subjects we all same the share opinion, so it's a shame that people have let this matter split the group... can't we just accept that people have different views? I keep mine indoors, my mother keeps hers outdoors, and we get on just fine! If you saw somebody in the street yell at their child for something that you don't think warrants a telling-off you wouldn't go straight over and tell them never to do that again..? you just have to leave it sometimes...

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, but then on other feeds I've seen one guy just try to introduce himself and added a photo of his guinea pigs in an outdoors run, I'm not saying you personally, as I'm not sure who it was, but people then started commenting on it saying "you should never keep guinea pigs outdoors" before he'd even stepped through the door... couldn't everyone just be nice and accept that for him it works? Or at least say something less blunt... "aren't you worried about your guinea pigs outdoors?"...? He's left the forum immediately!

I didn't see that particular thread. People are supposed to be a bit more gentle on the introductory section, so I don't know what happened there. This thread, of course, is not in the introductions.

On most subjects we all same the share opinion, so it's a shame that people have let this matter split the group... can't we just accept that people have different views?

If it's a matter of fleece vs. carefresh, then yes, of course. If it is a matter of safety, no, I disagree.

If you saw somebody in the street yell at their child for something that you don't think warrants a telling-off you wouldn't go straight over and tell them never to do that again..? you just have to leave it sometimes...

Generally, no, I'd mind my own business. BUT if the parent were being abusive or endangering their child, YES, I'd go over and say something or if it's really bad, call law enforcement. If I saw a child or animal in a locked, hot car I'd smash the window and call emergency.

kananaka

Cavy Slave
There's an online article about the dog attacks here in case anyone is interested:

(broken link removed)
Thank you for posting this.

I was not going to post on this thread but now I just have to.

This lady is a prime example of a uncaring breeder. Why? "...after the German shepherd and fox terrier repeatedly raided pens inside licensed breeder... A GUINEA pig breeder has lost nearly half of her breeding stock to a pair of vicious dogs, one of four attacks to occur on her Alice River property since December...
However Ms Preston admitted she had left her gate open, which had allowed the dogs to gain entry to her yard where the guinea pig pens were being kept...
"We leave our front gate open - it's always open," she said...
..."My theory is, your dogs should be locked up. Why should I be forced to close my front gate?"...
...She said there were always dogs roaming the streets..."

I am not saying that the dog owners are not also responsible, but this breeder has had this happen several times since December and took NO precautions to prevent the attacks. She left those pigs to die. Everyday she left them outside with the gate open knowing there were dogs roaming the streets and had literally an open gate into here garden. Shame on her!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR attacks. Four! I am so beyond disgusted that I don't think there's a word in the English language to express my distaste and lack of sympathy for this "licensed breeder."

This has now gone beyond the debate of whether or not to keep piggies outdoors. You can be a proponent of keeping them outside, but after the first dog attack...or the second...or the third...you think you'd get it through your brain that maybe, just maybe you should move them inside for their own safety.

Someone who loves their guinea pigs would have moved them inside after attack #1. Someone who uses them only for money doesn't care. They're simply little furry dollar signs to breeders anyway, so what does it matter if a person buys them for shows or as a pet vs. a dog owner "buying" them in compensation for the attack? Breeder's pockets still get lined, and she gets a slew of publicity and public sympathy from misguided individuals as a free bonus.

cavycomforts

Cavy Slave
What an awful situation, those poor pigs. So vulnerable, to rely on somebody who is not willing to protect you with a simple gate :(

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
"left her gate open"...."FOUR attacks"..."indignance about her involvement" -- it is all too much for me to form a cohesive statement about what has happened. It is far worse than I had imagined. The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. What the hell did she think was going to happen??

If you put a plate of steaks on the floor of the kitchen, you cannot punish the dog for eating them. This lady, in essense, did this very thing. She had her pigs outdoors and left the gate open. All the dogs had to do was wonder in. The article called the dogs "vicious" -- hardly. They were just doing what any dog would do if temptation was laid right out in front of them.

If she is taking the "I always leave my gate open it's their responsibility to keep their dogs in their yard" road - she is taking herself and her role to keep her "stock" safe, out of the equation.

So she was upset and angry about these attacks. One has to wonder though, what she is more upset about -- losing beloved pets...or losing her breeding stock/money maker.

PiggiesnPuppies

Cavy Slave
"Guinea pigs are extremely fragile...They cannot handle cold, draft, or heat. " Ummmm, I would disagree slightly here, if you never lived inside ever, do you thing you would not handle temperature fluctuations well? I don't thing so, I know every year people die from the heat or the cold but they are usually old or weak (with a few exceptions). I choose not to house my Piggies outside because I want to be able to walk over and pick them up at any time. Dogs getting onto your property isn't your fault, it is the idiot owner of the dog's fault. I myself am an owner of both and they get along famously. I have cages without lids in my living room and can let my piggies run free while my dogs sleep near by. This was not the owner of the Pigs fault but the owner of the dogs'! I understand the owner of 34 guinea pigs may be breeding but that does not mean she is irresponsible in any way. Have we forgotten that guinea pigs were wild little critters in the Andean mountain range? And until the 1950's were largely out door pets?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
As a new member of the forum, did you really want to post on this thread and stir it all up again? Why? Your post is honestly ridiculous and I'm closing this thread. We are done with this drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.