Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rest In Peace 34 guineapigs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I think it's very easy to follow what's routine when it's an accepted practice. Debating it, even if people get riled up sometimes, puts all the cards on the table for everyone to discuss. That's often the catalyst to get things changed or enlighten others.
Precisely. When I was a kid, it was accepted practice to keep guinea pigs in 10 gallon aquariums on cedar shavings and feed them only pellets. Being the accepted practice didn't make it right or healthy. Thank goodness that's changed now, and I can only hope that housing piggies outdoors will become just as unpopular.

Leoseb27

Cavy Slave
You people are ****ing nuts!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You people are ****ing nuts!
Wait! I thought you were done with this forum?

You all are just as bad as PETA. I'm outta this forum, peace
Seriously, if you have nothing other than a commentary on your personal opinion of this forum and its members, please refrain from participating in the conversation altogether.

*~*~*~*~*~
Has anyone actually found a legitimate news link to this story? I'd think an "accident" of this magnitude would make the news somewhere, somehow. In the absence of that, I have to wonder about the reality and actual facts of the story.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Paula beat me to it, but I'm going to include my reply anyway.

You all are just as bad as PETA. I'm outta this forum, peace

peace? Really?! What's up with your attitude? Why not contribute something of value to the discussion?

As someone who used to breed for pet stores, I'm not surprised that you don't have the same perspectives that many here do. But in your own words
"That's why I'm here. I never knew about c&c cages. When I learned I immediately built a two level 2 x 5 for my two pigs. They are so happy!

So, maybe someone else will come upon this forum and learn about the dangers of housing their guinea pigs outdoors and opt NOT to put their pet's lives at risk.

Not such a stretch of logic, is it? Proud to be a nut.

Liknvi

Cavy Slave
Around my area, Southwest Virginia, we seem to have had a string of teens going through Craigslist ads and jumping fences to grab dogs and cats to use as target practice.

At my high school, a few brilliant kids from my class saw a groundhog scurry under a very tall fence. As school security here is far from ideal, it isn't very uncommon for kids to keep hunting equipment in their cars.

Well, as you can imagine, teenagers skipping class combined with weaponry did not end well for the poor creature. Its fate is quite a bit too gruesome to describe here.

Someone already linked another horror story ((broken link removed)). This was also in the UK, where some posters are claiming that their pigs are safe. A quick Google search revealed a few more horrifying stories... Straight from the 'safe' UK. (Stephen Briggs: Father-of-three killed pet guinea pig by hurling it at a wall in front of his horrified children | Mail Online ; (broken link removed)).

Cruelty and bad judgement doesn't stop at the border. Every country has bored teenagers with a mean streak who don't see animals as living creatures (and some adults fall under that category as well). Every country has drunks. Every country has people who make a mistake and leave a dog unsecured.

Cultural divide? Sure. But that doesn't make a culture's socially accepted views safe or correct. I could bring up a great many strawmen to support that, but I think it should be common sense that just because a lot of people in your neck of the woods do something doesn't mean it's right.

And of course, that's just the predator aspect. Perhaps I don't know enough people from the UK to comment, but that area of the world tends to have a reputation for weather that is harsh, to say the least.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@Liknvi I fully agree. *Claps* Our town is often labeled "Peaceful" and our newspapers rarely have any front page worthy crimes in them, plus it's extremely rare to ever see a cop car. Not to mention that everyone is labeled animal lovers around here since there are so many farms, and those who don't own farms at least own a bunch of pets.

Yet about five years ago, I found a cat sitting under the car that I decided to rescue. Turns out after x-rays that the cat had been used as target practice. He had one bullet (From an air soft sorta gun I guess) lodged in his left paw, one shattered in shards in his right paw, and one that the vet said had somehow gotten into his lungs and then back out (Forget how she put it) It's hypothesized that some kids just thought it would be funny to use him for target practice then threw him out on the street.

Though at least the story has a happy ending. He's still alive and well to this day at 15 years old, yet he still acts like a kitten. ❤️

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
So you're saying she keeps over 34 guinea pigs inside? It's been said here that houses in the UK are smaller than in the US so how in the world is she supposedly keeping over 34 pigs inside?

OMG are you seriously telling us that after the last attack, she continued to put the pigs in harm's way and lost MORE because of it? And you call her a responsible pig owner??? I thought maybe she had learned her lesson after last time. Apparently not. Not sure why it was important to mention that 2 were studs and 29 were pedigree. A loss is a loss, regardless.

Really. So she has studied genetics, has she? She's aware of what traits to look for and what to avoid? She knows about roan and lethal pigs? Is she also aware of how many homeless pigs there are in shelters and rescues that are euthanized because they weren't adopted and space was lacking? Is she at all concerned about those pigs?

Sure, she's a breeder but why does a breeder need 34 pigs? What can she possibly gain by having so many? Is she planning to sell them? Breed them more? How many will be too many? What is her ceiling for pigs?

Sure, the dog owner's fault. She should keep in mind that even if the dog had gotten loose, had she been keeping her pigs indoors, they would have been safe from the attack. So whose fault is it...really?

For the sake of the rest of her pigs, she needs to move them inside. It's her own fault if she doesn't learn a lesson from this tragedy.

What more could there possibly be to the story? She is a breeder, has an inordinate number of pigs, kept outdoors, they were attacked by a dog because of it.

It sounds a little like you're the one who doesn't like this page. You start a thread announcing that 34 pigs died needlessly because a woman kept them outdoors and don't like that people have a problem with this? Am I missing something here?

No I'm not liking how everyone is taking over this thread i thought it was horrible but I am sick of the countless people fighting on here its become pathetic. Youve turned a sad tragedy into some little stupid fights on the forum so can a mod please delete this forum im saying no more on whats going on now whats happened. And I do not live in UK I live in Australia, Im an Aussie. Im honestly disgusted in all of you. I have my beliefs that if someone wants to breed then its their choice. It may be wrong but its gonna happen so get over it. You guys are acting ridiculous and this is my thread so anyone who posts after this I will have a serious problem with.
THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED SO LEAVE IT, IF A MOD SEES THIS DELETE IT.
And thankyou everyone, for your amazing compassion towards animals. I made this thread about the guineapigs, the tragedy of all the lives gone, not to bicker at eachother like a pack of mongrels. My 6 year old brat of a horse has a better attitude then ya'll so leave this thread alone now.
I think I'm going to leave this forum as well, since I get more respect from a pile of dung then you lot. Cheers.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
This thread is understandably heated because of the original post -- the needless death of far too many guinea pigs due to outdoor housing and the idiot breeder who let it happen again.

It is impossible not to be outraged at this tragedy. This thread did NOT start out as a quiet discussion of the pros and cons of outdoor housing--we have plenty of those threads on this forum. Let's put the reactions in the context of reality.

And as the original author and out-spoken activist of the new cage size standards that have been adopted AROUND the WORLD, I can tell you with absolute clarity that that change did NOT come about by tip-toeing around the issue with people who ALL had tiny, too small cages. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who was a guinea pig enthusiast and even the 'experts' who you all know and love for very many years FOUGHT me incessantly about my "overstated" requirements. The current minimums were just fine, thank you very much. WHY????????? Because they had kept guinea pigs forever; that was the cage size that THEY had, and they were just fine with it, thank you very much, and shut up.

That was what I dealt with for years. But, I persevered on many forums and on many fronts. I created the C&C cages and slowly, as they were adopted and more and more independent testimonials started to appear in various places, over the years, the TRUTH of what guinea pigs really need for proper care has been adopted everywhere. It took over a DECADE.

However, if I had gone along the advised path of being nicey nicey to not hurt the feelers of those who stubbornly refused to accept the fact that they were not correct in their own caging, then nothing would have changed. "Oh, yes, well, sure, what you are doing is just fine, this is just better." Ho hum -- would have been business as usual.

Now, I'm not saying that we should be rude to people, not at all. But, I'm also not willing to back down from what we know is better for the animals. It is fact, not opinion.

Do I think the folks in the UK who house their pigs outdoors are bad pet owners? I don't know. Some yes, some no, the variations on their real intent, their view of their pets, what they do and how they do it, all factor in if I were going to assess someone personally.

Do I think this breeder is an idiot? Yes. Very very rarely do I think that. But in this case, most definitely. Inexcusable. Stupid. Shameful.

If we have some new members who are so outraged at our reactions on this thread that they need to leave, so be it. As you know, there are several forums that focus on UK members where outdoor housing is not only condoned, it's encouraged. Not everyone is going to be happy or find value in every online community. We don't claim to be the home for everyone. I absolutely do want members to try to be respectful of one another. No question.

But, not to the extent of having to white wash a travesty such as this in order to maintain some status quo.

It's these kinds of things that should serve as a wake up call to those who house outdoors. Instead, when confronted with the fact that this can happen, those who are posting pretty much dig their heels in even more. It's to be expected. It's human nature. HOWEVER, for every person posting on this thread there are many, many more reading it. The points will NOT be lost on everyone. Highlighting it here, regardless of those who may feel persecuted because they feel the need to defend their housing choices, does expose the issue to many and helps enlighten others who we do not know.

Can you please delete this thread as it has gone too far and I am very uncomfortable coming back from a very hard week of work and tafe to read all this. If its left up and everyone keeps replying I will be leaving because 7 pages in my opinion is enough hate and getting up eachother for me to stand.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Can you please delete this thread as it has gone too far and I am very uncomfortable coming back from a very hard week of work and tafe to read all this. If its left up and everyone keeps replying I will be leaving because 7 pages in my opinion is enough hate and getting up eachother for me to stand.

I'd really like to see a link to the story. What city was it in?

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
It may be wrong but its gonna happen so get over it.

Can I just say how grateful I am to members of this forum who do NOT believe this? Saying that something is wrong but that it's going to happen so don't do anything about it is a cowardly attitude. It is the reason why evil, big and small, is able to persist.

I made this thread about the guineapigs, the tragedy of all the lives gone, not to bicker at eachother like a pack of mongrels.

This was a preventable tragedy. It would be irresponsible for us not to point out what could have been done to prevent it, and that the wrong creature (the dog) is being blamed for what happened. The pigs were innocent victims, as is the dog. To post a horrifying tale like this and then not expect people to be outraged is bizarre.

AilsaStockwell

Cavy Slave
I don't know why everybody is getting so heated about this... we ALL want the best for our pets, which is why we're all on this forum - so yes maybe for some people outdoor guinea pigs are "out of sight, out of mind" but they're not going to be on here reading this, so why bring that kind of pet owner up? in my opinion, and obviously a great number of others, keeping guinea pigs outdoors is perfectly safe when it's done correctly, and yes there are risks, but risks that as an owner you take precautions for, so if you don't think they should be kept outdoors, don't keep your pets outdoors, but if our guinea pigs are perfectly happy and healthy and safe outdoors, leave us to it...?

difference of opinion - agree to disagree, don't try and force your opinions on us!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I have my beliefs that if someone wants to breed then its their choice. It may be wrong but its gonna happen so get over it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't know why everybody is getting so heated about this...
Because it is a horrifying story.

n my opinion, and obviously a great number of others, keeping guinea pigs outdoors is perfectly safe when it's done correctly, and yes there are risks, but risks that as an owner you take precautions for, so if you don't think they should be kept outdoors, don't keep your pets outdoors, but if our guinea pigs are perfectly happy and healthy and safe outdoors, leave us to it...?

I daresay that the owner of the 34 slaughtered pigs thought that she was doing the right thing and was taking all necessary precautions, if for no other reason than to protect the investment of her stud. She probably thought until the dog killed all of those pigs, that her pigs were safe. Because if she didn't, and kept them outside anyway, she is worse than cruel. People used to think it was okay not to put infants in car seats. And, judging from all of the places that I have lived outside of the U.S., many places still think it's okay. And that holding kids tightly on your lap in the back seat does enough. Until you're in an accident and you realise that you didn't do enough.

Hindsight is 20/20, but at least if people learn from the mistake it isn't wasted. Clearly this woman didn't since it seems to have happened again, and since people are still saying "oh, it happened to her, but it won't happen to me."

agree to disagree, don't try and force your opinions on us!
If a person feels like an opinion is being "forced" on them, all that person has to do is stop reading.

But there is a difference between opinion and fact. Opinions are up to the person. Facts are independent of the person. The simple fact is, that a companion animal sheltered outside of a house is NOT as secure as one sheltered inside of the house. There are tradeoffs. And if in your OPINION it is worth the tradeoff to keep the animal outside, that is indeed your choice.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
No I'm not liking how everyone is taking over this thread i thought it was horrible but I am sick of the countless people fighting on here its become pathetic. Youve turned a sad tragedy into some little stupid fights on the forum so can a mod please delete this forum im saying no more on whats going on now whats happened. And I do not live in UK I live in Australia, Im an Aussie. Im honestly disgusted in all of you. I have my beliefs that if someone wants to breed then its their choice. It may be wrong but its gonna happen so get over it. You guys are acting ridiculous and this is my thread so anyone who posts after this I will have a serious problem with.
THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED SO LEAVE IT, IF A MOD SEES THIS DELETE IT.
And thankyou everyone, for your amazing compassion towards animals. I made this thread about the guineapigs, the tragedy of all the lives gone, not to bicker at eachother like a pack of mongrels. My 6 year old brat of a horse has a better attitude then ya'll so leave this thread alone now.
I think I'm going to leave this forum as well, since I get more respect from a pile of dung then you lot. Cheers.

No one 'took over' your thread. The posts stayed on topic, relating to the story at hand. You have zero say over what opinions get posted here, and people aren't going to coddle a woman with stupidity of this magnitude. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean we aren't going to say it. It's fairly simple, really.

I'm not even going to touch the 'they'll do it anyway' comment, because it is one of the dumbest excuses I have ever heard, yet hear time, and time again. You want to add to the problem and possibly kill your animals with selfish breeding? Oh sure, you REALLY do love them...right.

You also have no say on the closure of a thread. That is up to the mods etc., and it will likely remain open for some time yet. I see nothing here that warrants a locked thread, and people disagreeing with you is definitely not a reason. If you want to leave, JUST.LEAVE. There's no reason to say 'Oh I am sooooo done with you guys!' (in essence, not a direct quote, of course) It just makes you look silly. If you're really done, and have nothing more you want from here, log out and go. Flinging insults at valid advice isn't going to help your case. No one is going to beg you to stay, so why bother having a fit over it?

No one has spewed any 'hate' in your direction, either. If it is so much stress...no one is 'forcing' anyone to read this thread. If it stresses you out so much, why do you keep coming back to it?

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
If it was practical to have my piggies in the house all of the time, I probably would but we do not have room in the house for pets and my husband is allergic to fur.

As I said before, you are probably never going to see this from my point of view... maybe if you lived in the UK you would.... houses are considerably smaller, my garden is enclosed really quite secure and there are not really any preditors. The UK has foxes in some areas near woodlands but there are none around here.

I just googled 'bobcats' and if we had preditors like that here, I wouldn't house any pets outdoors!!

I live in the UK and I'd never let my guinea pigs live outside, no offence....the weather changes every 2 seconds, including the temperature. The rainy and stormy conditions could scare guinea pigs a lot. I wouldn't say houses are 'considerably smaller'...I have a large garden but I still keep my guinea pigs in my room. And there are predators....my neighbour left their rabbits in a 'safe' run and they got pulled through and eaten by birds of prey.

No aggression intended! I didn't realise there was so many pages on this thread, lol...
Just a warning of the threats of UK predators, though. Because I do know people who's pets have been killed by birds/foxes/cats/dogs when they've been housed outside, and when I was younger I had to move a pet indoors (I was 9, this was 10 years ago before anyway says I'm a hypocrit) because the weather scared her. Just a possible heads up in case UK people experience that too :) Don't know what else has been said on this thread as I haven't read in to it but I don't want people to think I'm adding to it lol :)

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There's an online article about the dog attacks here in case anyone is interested:

(broken link removed)

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Although I will agree that pets like guinea pigs are usually housed outdoors in the UK...I know this as I live here myself. In the countryside, where there's predators everywhere. I have high fenced round my garden but this does not keep seagulls/cats/birds of prey out.

But I still don't think it is safe to house them outside, because there's always a larger threat out there. Just like if we lived outside. Admittedly keeping pets inside is a new concept in the UK, which is why you can't really get c&c stuff anywhere. But I do know people that keep hutches inside. I think if you want to know your pets got the best chances of safety you can find a way really.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
There's an online article about the dog attacks here in case anyone is interested:

(broken link removed)

WOW. There is so much wrong with this. "Jacinta has experienced four dog attacks on her property since December and 31 guinea pigs died in the latest attack this week"

What?! Ugh. I am so disgusted. FOUR dog attacks. Not to mention one was destroyed, for being...a dog. I can't even stand the comments to the article. Just...wow.

More reason to not house your pigs outside, where you can't watch them. Not to mention this is a breeder, who could have prevented all of this just because she shovels out some 'pedigreed' piggies. They aren't pets to her, they're money.

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave
I was not feeling very sympathetic towards this person from second hand accounts I had read on this thread, but now I have read the article myself, I am totally disgusted!!!! And someone in a position of authority gave that woman a license!! She left the F#*&ing gate open, and continued to do it after the first, second and third attacks!! She has already put a $50 price tag on her guinea pigs lives just to set a precedent for the compensation she'll be asking for I'm sure!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I need to go away now as the exclamation key on my keyboard is starting to smoke. It's just so disgusting that people like that are allowed to keep animals, and by using her animals as bait, has managed to have a dog killed just for being a dog!!!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
"We leave our front gate open - it's always open," she said.
"My theory is, your dogs should be locked up. Why should I be forced to close my front gate?"

That woman's an utter fool. Although the dogs shouldn't be out and about, I now see this as her fault. Anything could come in through that gate, not just dogs. She was giving entry to anything that could hurt her guinea pigs. THAT'S the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed to keep guinea pigs outside. The dog should not have been put down, because it didn't even have to go to lengths to act on INSINCT. You should be 'forced' to close your front gates if you give a damn about the pets you choose to keep the other side of it.
Ugh. Words can't express how ridiculous that article is. Also, the fact that the guinea pigs were refered to as 'stock'. It didn't freak out the family, it just meant they were down on money making tools.
Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.