Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy HELP. answer asap please.

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is about 9 months old. I've had her since she was 3 weeks old, we adopted her from a shelter.

She's been acting very lethargic and seems like she is having a hard time pooping. When she does poop, it's very watery and soft. Her appetite is limited. Yesterday, she didn't eat much at all. Today, she actually squeaked for food which she hasn't done since she's been feeling ill, so we took that as a good sign. She got full fast, and then laid back down in her hidey house. She's ALWAYS hungry, usually, and always eating! Then all of sudden, she's lethargic.
The other day we gave them some kale, and after she was done eating we went into the room and the kale that was left spelled really bad! We thought maybe the kale expired.
We thought she might have a stomach ache at first, but it's been two days. She looks a bit bloated, too. & when I had her out, all her fur stuck up and it looked like she was trying to poop. I don't know what's wrong.

About a month or two ago, she had a cyst, it bursted and she had to take medicine for 2 weeks. I don't think it has anything to do with that, though. Her cyst is all gone and the scab is all gone also.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, I'd make a vet appointment. Second, I'd get her some probiotics -- Bene-Bac is good, and is usually available at pet stores. Third, I'd take her completely off veggies to see if her poop will firm up.

What is happening with her weight? You need to be weighing her daily to see if you need to hand feed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.