Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Bullying, weight loss, hair loss.... wire floor on outdoor cage?

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

The last two weeks I have noticed one of our G-pigs has lost a bit of weight, not sure how much exactly but a noticeable amount. I noticed today he had a bit of hair loss on his back with a few 'scabs' on it aswell though. I got this G-pig about 6 months ago and he was a male adult from a refuge and he is as sweet as a pea. My other little jnr male never really got on with him all that well - we even had to seperate them for a few weeks for fear of bullying - the little one would stomp around and chatter at him a lot. I suspect jnr has been biting or barbering the 'big one' - talk about calling the shots!

I have an appointment with the vet saturday to see what all this is. I have separated them again - they can see each other, but they each have a half of a 2x5 CnC. Is that feasible? I have also separated them to make sure he is getting his "share" of the food - and to see how much of it he is actually eating. Thankfully, so it appears his appetite is good and proper!

We moved house a month ago and it has been a little hectic around here and have read that a big change can alter a piggies weight like anyone else. I had them in a C n C in one of our spare rooms at our apartment, but have had to move them to our "outdoor" room - on a table in our unused garage (with no car or car fumes). It is carpeted, single car space, fully enclosed, insulated, lit and secure - but I am missing having them in the house house per se. It is right next to the house of course, but any other spare space did not seem feasible. We just adopted a beagle - and the 'spare room' here was easy pickings to the beagle - the baby gate bearly stops him at the lounge!

Another question - I picked up a 'rabbit cage' - metal A frame thing with lockable doors, fully enclosed by mesh - as we have grass and wanted the piggies to have fresh air. Haven't put them in though - worried the dog might dig under the cage (digging is his forte) if I removed the floor or if I kept the floor, that the piggies might hurt their feet on the mesh floor. Read that bumblefoot can be caused by wire floors. Should I remove the wire on the bottom?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mel

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't put the pigs on wire -- it's not worth the risk. If you remove the floor, can you leave the dog inside while you've got the pigs outside?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Agreed.

As for the scabs and hair loss, it's most likely mites.

Piggie23

Cavy Slave
Im glad Im getting him to the vet first thing saturday, she specializes in rabbits / guineas and exotics.

Hopefully my little man will be feeling better soon. Ivermectin looks like the go by all the info on mite infestations.

I will be ripping the bottom out of this rabbit cage today. No wire bumblefoot for my boys.

Thanks for all your advice. This site has always been a great reference. Will get back to everybody with what the doc says.

Oh, and the beagle will always be supervised if the piggies are out. Depending on how "enthusiastic" he is about them, I'll put him in the house if they are outside. He loves being indoors anyway - really mommys boy loves his indoors bean bag! Snooze.

Mel xxxx

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Separating for "fear of bullying" likely made this original issue worse.
I do think the scabs on the back is a mites issue.

The beagle NEEDS to be either tied up, caged or locked inside. Wither your dog means it or not, he could fatally hurt your going pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.