Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Suggested Care List Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What about nail files? I use a nail file on Sheldon who has brittle, wonky nails. It also helps to smooth the nails after cutting.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles , her dry skin has cleared up. The vet said it's a moisturizing shampoo or something like that. We were worried about mites, but the only symptom she had was little bits of dandruff. I don't wash her anymore, only a few times in the beginning. Felix is a greasy pig, he gets the baths haha.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Thank you @Paula for bearing with me once agian, and changing the name more than once! I really, really appreciate it! :D I like the new name quite a bit! I didn't really intend for this to be a sticky thread, just a nice, helpful little thread for any newbies that want a concentration of the main things that they should have on hand for their piggies. I really don't want this to become a full blown list of every guinea pig thing on the market. That's just irrational, and defeats the purpose. I'm going to make a few minor edits this time around, and I'm NOT going to put everything that people suggested, just for the sake of adding stuff.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Cage:

• Grids (9 holes in 14 inches)
  • You Can Use Wire Shelving as an Alternative to Grids (You Can Use It To Make a Lid)
  • Coroplast OR shower curtain
  • 8 inch Cable Ties

Bedding

• Fleece
  • U Haul pad or towels
  • Binder Clips to hold up fleece (Optional)

Accessories

• Pigloos/Hideys
  • Play Pen for Indoor and Outdoor Play (ALWAYS supervise outdoor time!)
  • Food dishes (1 per pig)
  • Water Bottle(s)
  • Cozies
  • TOYS!
  • Carrier for Vet Visits, Emergencies, and Travel
  • Hay Rack or Bent Grid

Health:

• Cat Nail Clippers, Human Nail Clippers, or Bird Clippers
  • Qwik-Stop, Corn Starch, or Flour
  • Grooming Supplies
  • Weight Scale and Note Book for Tracking Weight
  • Dawn Dish Soap and Mineral Oil (for cleaning grease glands on boars) For a Natural Alternative, You Can Use Coconut Oil.
  • Small Animal Shampoo (NEVER GET CAT/ DOG SHAMPOOS! They're not made for animals that clean themselves like pigs do)

Food/Hay

• QUALITY Pellets(Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow are all great brands)
  • Grass Hay (timothy, orchard, bluegrass, etc) from Oxbow, KMS, Sweet Meadow, or a local farmer is preferable to pet store brands
  • Veggies: for a great list of pig safe veggies, go here:https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...ants-list.html

Cleaning:

• Litter Scoop
  • 50/50 Water/ Vinegar Spray
  • Dust Pan and Brush OR Hand Vac

I hope that this is everything! If I missed anything, please feel free to let me know so that I can make edits! Please also let me know if this was useful!

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Oops!!!!! Sorry! I was going to edit the list, but I timed out on the editing part when I was going back to get ideas on what to add! So this list right below this post is NOT the updated list!!! The new list is soon to come! I am just waiting on Paula to extend my editing time on this post! Sorry to keep putting it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.