Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Out a Kitten?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I have a kitten, and I have a stand and top for my cage. But she likes to get on top of the hay bin, the top itself (which is fine) or the window sill to watch them. She'll also shove her paw in, (slaws sheathed) and try to "boop" the piggies. She's just curious, and has never even stuck out her claws. The pigs are very good at not getting pawed!

I was just wondering if it's safe for her to be in the room with them, alone. I'm not in the mood to make an emergency run to the vet because of a curious kitty, and a guinea pig with too slow reflexes...

P.S. There is no way she can get in, just curious about the pawing.

PiBee

Cavy Slave
My cat does that too. My cage isn't covered so there will be times when my cat is cold and likes the fleece, so he jumps in and falls asleep :) If the pigs are moving around a lot, he'll paw gently at them but he really seems more interested in what the heck they're doing.

It's probably okay for them to be alone together! If you know your cat well and see them together a lot, then use your own judgement. From the sound of it, it'll be fine!

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@PiBee, that's great! Thanks for the advice!

I think she'll be more cautious around the pigs now! Earlier this morning, I had one of the pigs out for laptime, and I plopped Onyx, the kitten in question, down next to her. Onyx got a bit bored of her, so the kitten decided to take a nap almost on top of the poor pig! Chloe, the said guinea pig, has a certain spot on her side that is a bit tender when she's in heat. I think it's around the nipple... Anyways, the kitten must have touched it, and she snapped her head around to face the kitten. I have to assume that she bit her, since the the kitten reeled back, and ran away! :D Chloe then proceeded to lay down as if nothing had happened!

She has also nibbled her ear... I think that she is plotting to eat her, and the whole "vegetarian" thing is a set up... You never know! :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think you should kitten proof your cage much like the users here baby(guinea pig) proof their cages.
You really can't be too careful. And your kitten can accidentally hurt your guineas. Their 2 totally different species. Each one's language can be taken the wrong way. I know Whistles can get defensive. And when Emma the pug whined at him(playfully) he bared his teeth/puffed up his fur.
Emma just wanted to play. But Whistles, not knowing her language, might of taken her whine as a mean or rude tone. When it comes to different species of animals living together, I make sure everyone is safe.
If my kitty didn't have advanced arthritis I would be cat proofing my cage with the suggestion I gave you. My fish tanks would be on lock down too. But she's so old now that she happily sits there and watches them swim.

ETA: Here is a photo to best show the proofing method.
1quad2.jpg

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=22188]MrWhistles[/MENTION]! I will try to hit my local WalMart this week and grab an extra box! I appreciate it!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thanks @MrWhistles ! I will try to hit my local WalMart this week and grab an extra box! I appreciate it!

No problem!
Glad to help you keep your piggys safe. Keeping them safe gives you 1 less worry :)

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Totally! I'll be able to leave the door to the room open at night, without fear of a mischievous kitten trying to get in the cage unattended for 8 hours. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.