Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When will she have them?!!??!?!

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
My female piggie Honey is very, very pregnant. I can feel the babies moving around in her, hear them (though can't see them as she's a texel), and her pelvic bones have spread to a thumb-and-a-bit. However, she's acting normal, just drinking a little more and sleeping more than usual. She doesn't mind me picking her up or petting her- in fact, she loves it. The waiting game is driving me crazy!!! I've had babies before, but I'd like someone with a bit more experience's opinion. When will she finally pop and what signs are there/will there be?!?!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've already got all the signs -- seeing the babies move, hearing them, separation of the pelvic bones. Once they're separated, birth should be soon.

If you've got a male in the cage, remove him immediately. She can get pregnant again just as soon as she gives birth, and that's terribly hard on a sow. Any females can be left with her, as they usually make great aunties. But if the cage is small, the other sows may feel crowded and try to nip the pups. Just watch them carefully, and only separate the sows if necessary.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
You said she's had a liter before? Are you breeding?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine: I think that she might have gotten an already pregnant pig in the past. I hope that it's not a breeding situation!

I agree with @bpatters. Take the male out ASAP, if you haven't already.

I hope the delivery goes well, and you end up with happy, healthy pups, with their happy, healthy mommy!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@NarwhalsRock Yeah I hope so too ! It's unfortanant the some people get already pregnant pigs and things.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Totally. She probably had no idea... Oh, pet stores/ ignorant people. (I'm not saying the OP is ignorant, I'm saying that others mis sex pigs unwittingly, which leads to pregnant piggies...)

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
This is her first litter, though I've had a litter before with my other sow (Milo) due to mis-sexing. I tried to put some of my sows in with her, but Honey (pregnant sow) was really aggressive, nipping and chasing them so I took them out. I have removed the male, baby-proofed the cage and done everything I am supposed to do, but I'm really worried about her. She's 7months, so her pelvic bones shouldn't be shut - they are wide open. Now I'm just waiting and wondering when she'll have them.

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
Update: Nothing. No babies :( Honey is still fine, and her pelvic bones are even wider, if that's possible.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Update: Nothing. No babies :( Honey is still fine, and her pelvic bones are even wider, if that's possible.

Princess's pelvis stayed really wide for 3 days before she had her babies. She finally had them Yesterday morning. You will wake up in the morning and see babies. So don't worry. She should be fine.

kyleebree

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig is pregant two i will post pics soon to see what yall think we havent had the money to take her to the vet so yeah

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig is pregant two i will post pics soon to see what yall think we havent had the money to take her to the vet so yeah

Good luck with her and the babies. You don't need to take her the vet unless you thin there is something wrong with her

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
Update: Honey is still fat *sigh*. She was very restless last night, circling her cage (And keeping me awake!!), sniffing her butt and "chasing her tail". I'm hoping she has them soon.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Update: Honey is still fat *sigh*. She was very restless last night, circling her cage (And keeping me awake!!), sniffing her butt and "chasing her tail". I'm hoping she has them soon.

She should have them in the next 3 days. Don't worry. They should be here by the weekend.

applechih

Cavy Slave
very soon from what ive learned probably the next few days

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
Update: Still waiting :( She's just acting normal, babies are kicking and moving around heaps, it's been past two weeks since I first felt them, assuming that's the first time they'd moved :(

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
Should I take her to the vet?? She's been sleeping heaps, pelvic bones are still separated and everything seems fine, but I think she's overdue.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Should I take her to the vet?? She's been sleeping heaps, pelvic bones are still separated and everything seems fine, but I think she's overdue.

If you don't know they day she got pregnant then you will not know when she is due. She will have the babies when she and the babies are ready. Please don't waste your money on taking her to vet when the vet is only going to tell you the same thing. And taking her to the vet this close to delivery is even more stressful than ever. Her pelvis can stay fully open up to almost a week. Princess's pelvis stayed fully open for 4 to 5 days before she had her babies. So don't worry and don't rush it. Everything will happen when it's time. Just be patient and wait. I'm sure it will be sometime by this time next week she will have them. You may wake up in the morning to babies. You really don't know. Just stay calm and relax

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I went through exactly what you are going through. So I know exactly how you feel. But trust me, everything will be ok. I woke up at 5am in the morning on july 30th in a panic and so I checked on Princess and she was ok and she was resting in her hay in a corner. When I woke up that same morning at 815am, there was 3 babies running around. So just be patient. They are like kids and babies, they can sense when you are upset or stressed out. So the only thing to do is stay calm. After me being calm for 3 days straight, she ended having her babies. They will be here when they are ready to be. I hope this helps you

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
This is Honey now. Poor baby, she's so fat :) Yes, I know I shouldn't hold her that way, but it was ONCE and she was absolutely fine with it. Do you think she'll have many babies?? And isn't she beautiful?! She's a purebred texel :) My darling :)
Here is Honey, very pregnant and fat :) Poor baby :) Sorry it's a tad blurry. Yes, I know I shouldn't hold her this way, but it was ONCE and she was absolutely fine with it. Do you think she'll have many babies?? And isn't she beautiful, she's a purebred texel and my darling baby :)

LauraKHeit

Cavy Slave
Honey preggers.jpgMy beautiful darling from the top :) Eating her clover :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.