Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

planet petco softwood bedding for guinea pigs?

Gullik
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as it's kiln dried it should be fine, unless it's cedar. Cedar is a no-go for pigs.

Gullik
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Any wood bedding should label the type of wood that it's made of. Aspen and kiln-dried pine are both acceptable bedding for guinea pigs, and either of these will be clearly labeled as such somewhere on the packaging. Non-dried pine, and cedar of any sort are both not appropriate for guineas, as they emit oils that are harmful to guinea pigs' sensitive noses.

If the packaging has zero information as to the type of wood, play it safe and don't get it. I know Petsmart carries a line of various wood beddings, included aspen, cedar and kiln-dried pine, all of which are labeled.

EDIT - I looked it up, on Petco's website, there it's described as "a natural blend of spruce, fir & pine shavings". It doesn't specify whether it's kiln-dried and I have no idea whether spruce or fir are safe wood types, so I'd skip it and get plain aspen or kiln-dried pine, or a paper-based bedding like Carefresh.

Here's the link for anyone who wishes to investigate further.

https://www.petco.com/product/117369/Planet-Petco-Softwood-Bedding-for-Small-Animals.aspx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.