Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Bayril for URI

Sammiemarie

Cavy Slave
Okay, so my little man, Korey, was diagnosed with a uri. I woke up Monday morning and his eyes were crusted over and he had nasal discharge & a little sneezing. Brought him to the vet the next morning bright and early. The vet said his lungs sound okay, his teeth are great, etc. She said she was pretty sure he was developing a URI. she gave me a 10 day cycle of baytril, and critical care to keep him hydrated and fed. I have been Hand feeding him throughout the day, and giving him water through a syringe. His discharge from the eyes and nose have gotten better. His appetite is not there but the vet did warn me that baytril will curb his appetite and that I will need to hand feed him for awhile. I was curious of some of the outcomes for other piggy parents? How long did it take for baytril to heal your piggy? I'm hoping since he has not gotten worse, and I have seen even the tiniest improvement that he will make a full recovery.

Sammiemarie

Cavy Slave
Just makes me so sad when he is sick :(

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1343316136925.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Are you also giving him a probiotic? Baytril is really rough on their digestive tracts so a probiotic is important to replace the good bacteria so they don't stop eating. You can buy Benabac gel or powder at our local pet store. If you use the powder, you can sprinkle it on his veggies. Since he's not eating, you might want to buy the gel and give him a pea sized dose with your syringe about an hour after his Baytril dose every 24 hours.

Sammiemarie

Cavy Slave
I wasn't but I will pick some up today to start doing that, thank you. I appreciate any advice, never been through this before. :/

Sammiemarie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for helping and for the advice I received. Unfortunately my little man didn't make it. I'm heart broken, but I did everything I could for him. I miss him so much already. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.