Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing two YOUNG males

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Hello :) I've hunted all over the internet for tips and experiences on intros with males but it's all old with young pairings!
Anyway, my piggy Noah will be around 4 and a half months when we get him his pal, who will be 5 weeks. I've read all abouts intros and will get them separate food bowls, hidey huts etc in case of bickering. They'll be in a cage together pretty soon after intros, though, as I can't afford another cage (I will clean it though to rid it of Noahs smells. I've only had him for a week so I'm hoping by the time Elmo comes along, he won't be too territorial. He's quite timid anyway).
So, I'm terrified about how they're going to get on!! And loads of people have said when they hit 5 - 15 months they'll fight because of hormones....especially the little one....is this true?
Any tips, experiences, etc would be great!! Noah spends a lot of time outside the cage with me and in his run, which I'm getting extended for Elmo's arrival. But I can't do anything about cages at the mo :/ x

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
How large is the cage they'll be sharing? Boars of any age need more space to get along peacefully than sows. You're right about the "fun" of adolescence, although it will probably be more about squabbles than out-and-out death matches.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
It is a few feet long and a foot and a half wide, their indoor pen is about 4 feet in all directions (one of the hexegon shaped ones) and their outdoor run will be extended to around 6 feet long. My breeder pal says my cage should be okay for two young males. I'm just scared of them growing up and then hating each other, I love my Noah so much I don't want him to get hurt!

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
Really hope somebody as able to offer some advice or experiences, the breeder says they will be fine in the cage I've got and he'll help with me intros etc, he's only ever had bad experiences with adult boars who he's tried to introduce...but some outside knowledge on here would be great!!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've done male intros twice, once with my two old guys when they were around 7 weeks old and then just a few weeks ago when I introduced a (now 9 weeks old) 7 week old boar to my now 1 and a half year old boys. They all get along great, manly because little Ron understands the Bubbles is the boss and not to get on his nerves.

I would say space is a main thing, you want the cage that will be their main home (meaning they spend most of their time in it) to be the biggest you can do as Guinea pigs run, sleep, eat and drink on their own time tables not when you put them into a run. Also it depends on the pigs personality, it works for me because right now little ron is submissive to the big boys, Rex is a calm and submissive pig and then Bubbles is the boss.

Is there any way you can get your new pig from a rescue? as it is better to rescue a pig then to buy one from a pet shop or breeder for many many reasons. That way you could also maybe get an older boar; But that doesn't really matter.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
There aren't any rescues around here to be honest. The breeder is also my friend so I feel slightly loyal to him, and he likes the fact his piggies are going to me because I keep him updated on how they're doing and I've said he can come see them whenever he wants.

The cage they're in at the moment is the biggest I can manage and I can't afford to replace it yet, although depending how big they get as they grow (Noah was the littlest out of his litter so he's still a bit small) I will upgrade.

saddlebredgirl

Cavy Slave
Hi. Well I have introduced boars around the same age so I hope I can help. Before you introduce them bath them both. Then on the day of introduction put them somewhere outside the cage like on the floor a couch or a bed and see how they react. There might be some dominance like trying to mount each other and some chasing but that's ok. If there is teeth chattering that's a sign of agression so seperate them then and try later. If there is no agression but only dominance like mounting ect then leave them they will sort out who is the boss. Then if they are fine they can go together in the cage. If they get older and they can't smell any females they should still be fine with each other.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I bathed Noah last week, will I be ok bathing him again in a few weeks? I thought it was bad to do it more than every 3 months so I was going to avoid doing that unless I have to. Thank-you for your help and advice :)

And thank-you for your links, I will give them a read when I get home from work!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.