Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Rumblestrutting?

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I have a few questions about some of my guinea pig behavior. I just got two guinea pigs two days ago, I believe they are both girls. I got them at a local pet store (not petco or petsmart, I believe this place in involved with a local shelter or something or the sort) and the workers there seemed to know how to check, pushing whatever it is and such. They double checked one, Mocha, and not the other Penny. (I also believe that they came from the same place prior to the pet store.)

I just have a question about Penny's behavior. She does this thing that I believe is rumblestrutting, she makes a purring sound and either stretches out her body and walks around or she purrs and shakes her butt side to side. When she does this, she is always either near, or walks over to Mocha to do it. I can't see that anything is really happening, it just seems like Penny gets too close to Mocha and Mocha then gets scared, maybe? and runs away to the other side of the cage.

I just want to make sure that this is an okay behavior and that Penny isn't bullying or hurting Mocha or anything. I want to make sure that they are safe together.

Pepperpiggie

Cavy Slave
I have only heard of males doing what penny does are you sure Penny is a female?

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
Girls do that too, my girls always do it, they sometimes mount eachother too, :/ could you post a picture of both of their parts?

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
I've been giving them a few days to get used to me so I haven't been able to look at either yet. Penny seems to be getting more comfortable with me so I was planning on taking her out today. I'll try to get a picture if I can.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's an OK, totally normal behavior, and she's likely just in heat, but if you're not absolutely POSITIVE that they're both the same gender, you need to separate them.

You can read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig for more information than you thought existed on guinea pig genitals. But the main thing you can do is just make sure they both look the same, whatever they are.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Girls definitely rumblestrutt and do the butt dance. Amy did it to Quinn when I first introduced them, and I know for sure she's a girl because she had pups before I got her.

Pepperpiggie

Cavy Slave
Okay I guess my girls don't do it or I have never seen them do it...:eek:

jamielk92

Cavy Slave
I can't get either one to let me pick them up! I keep trying to pick up Penny (because she seems friendlier and I want to check her), but I just can't get her! She just runs away before I can even get close enough to touch her. Maybe I'm not being assertive enough, but she just runs away so darn fast! I feel like I'm terrorizing her and don't want to keep trying. :(

Help, anyone? :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.